Deduction of ##\forall x \in S \cup T (x \le b)## using first order logic rules.

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary, the statement ##\forall x \in S \cup T (x \le b)## is equivalent to the statement ##\forall s \in S (s \le b) \wedge \forall t \in T (t \le b)## and can be derived using manipulations from first order logic.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Show that ##\forall x \in S \cup T (x \le b)## implies that ##\forall s \in S (s \le b) \wedge \forall t \in T (t \le b)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How can I perform this deduction using the rules of first order logic? This is how far I can get:

##\forall x \in S \cup T (x \le b)##
##(x \in S \cup T \implies x \le b)##
##(x \in S \lor x \in T \implies x \le b)##

Physics news on Phys.org
I would write it ##s\in S \stackrel{def.}{\Longrightarrow} s \in S \cup T \stackrel{\text{ given cond. }}{\Longrightarrow} s \leq b## and ##t \in T \ldots##

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
I would write it ##s\in S \stackrel{def.}{\Longrightarrow} s \in S \cup T \stackrel{\text{ given cond. }}{\Longrightarrow} s \leq b## and ##t \in T \ldots##

I see, that makes sense. Just wondering, are the two statements I gave logically equivalent? That is, is there a way to derive one from the other using manipulations from first order logic?

Yes they are equivalent. We already have from left to right. From right to left is equivalent to non left implies non right. Assume ##\lnot [(\forall x)(x\in S\cup T)\Rightarrow(x \leq b)]##. That is ##(\exists x)(x \in S\cup T)\wedge (x>b)##. So ##x\in S## or ##x\in T## and still ##x>b## which is non right:
##[((\exists x)(x\in S) \wedge (x>b)) \vee ((\exists x)(x\in T) \wedge (x>b))] = \lnot [((\forall x)(x\in S)\Rightarrow(x\leq b)) \wedge ((\forall x)(x\in T)\Rightarrow(x\leq b))] ##

What is a logical deduction?

A logical deduction is a process of reaching a conclusion based on a set of given premises or statements. It involves using logical reasoning and rules of inference to determine the validity of an argument or statement.

How is logical deduction used in science?

In science, logical deduction is used to make inferences and draw conclusions based on experimental data and observations. It helps scientists to make logical connections between different pieces of information and to come up with theories and hypotheses.

What are the steps involved in doing a logical deduction?

The steps involved in doing a logical deduction include identifying the premises, determining the validity of the premises, applying logical rules to reach a conclusion, and evaluating the soundness of the argument.

How does logical deduction differ from other forms of reasoning?

Logical deduction is based on formal logic and follows a systematic approach to reach a conclusion. It relies on the principles of validity and soundness, while other forms of reasoning, such as inductive reasoning, are based on probability and generalizations.

What are some common errors to watch out for when doing a logical deduction?

Some common errors to watch out for when doing a logical deduction include making faulty assumptions, using incorrect logical rules, and drawing conclusions that do not follow from the given premises. It is important to critically evaluate each step of the deduction to avoid these errors.