Deduction of ##\forall x \in S \cup T (x \le b)## using first order logic rules.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Mr Davis 97
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
44

Homework Statement


Show that ##\forall x \in S \cup T (x \le b)## implies that ##\forall s \in S (s \le b) \wedge \forall t \in T (t \le b)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


How can I perform this deduction using the rules of first order logic? This is how far I can get:

##\forall x \in S \cup T (x \le b)##
##(x \in S \cup T \implies x \le b)##
##(x \in S \lor x \in T \implies x \le b)##
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would write it ##s\in S \stackrel{def.}{\Longrightarrow} s \in S \cup T \stackrel{\text{ given cond. }}{\Longrightarrow} s \leq b## and ##t \in T \ldots##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
I would write it ##s\in S \stackrel{def.}{\Longrightarrow} s \in S \cup T \stackrel{\text{ given cond. }}{\Longrightarrow} s \leq b## and ##t \in T \ldots##

I see, that makes sense. Just wondering, are the two statements I gave logically equivalent? That is, is there a way to derive one from the other using manipulations from first order logic?
 
Yes they are equivalent. We already have from left to right. From right to left is equivalent to non left implies non right. Assume ##\lnot [(\forall x)(x\in S\cup T)\Rightarrow(x \leq b)]##. That is ##(\exists x)(x \in S\cup T)\wedge (x>b)##. So ##x\in S## or ##x\in T## and still ##x>b## which is non right:
##[((\exists x)(x\in S) \wedge (x>b)) \vee ((\exists x)(x\in T) \wedge (x>b))] = \lnot [((\forall x)(x\in S)\Rightarrow(x\leq b)) \wedge ((\forall x)(x\in T)\Rightarrow(x\leq b))] ##