Show that det(I-xy'T)= 1-y'T x

• Thread starter kutaybulbul
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a determinant problem involving matrices. The question is asking to show that the determinant of a matrix (I-xy'T) is equal to 1-y'T x, where y'T is the transpose of y and I is the identity matrix. The person asking for help is unsure of how to solve determinants with addition or subtraction involved. The responder explains that calculating the determinant of (A-B) is no different than calculating the determinant of C, where C is the result of subtracting A and B. They also advise the person to be more specific in their notation to avoid confusion.
kutaybulbul
Need Help Please!

I am very much in need of your help. I have a question saying:

Let x,y E R. Show that det(I-xy'T)= 1-y'T x

y'T is transpose of y and I is identity matrix.

Actually I don't know how to solve something like det( A-B). What am I going to do when there is addition or subtraction in the determinant.

Thanks for your response.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for some square matrix M, you know how to calculate [itex]\det(M)[/itex], right? And for two nxn square matrices A and B, A-B is an nxn matrix C, true again? Then calculating [itex]\det(A-B)[/itex] is no different than calculating [itex]\det(C)[/itex].

So is this so simple wov thank you very much I think I can handle the rest.

In future it might be a good idea not to say things like
"Let x,y E R" and then assert that they are matrices!

1. What is the equation "det(I-xy'T)= 1-y'T x" used for in science?

The equation "det(I-xy'T)= 1-y'T x" is used to show the determinant of a matrix of the form (I-xy'T) is equal to 1-y'T x. This is often used in linear algebra and matrix theory.

2. How do you interpret the notation in the equation "det(I-xy'T)= 1-y'T x"?

The notation in this equation represents a matrix multiplication operation. "I" represents the identity matrix, "x" and "y" represent column vectors, and "T" represents the transpose operation.

3. What is the significance of the determinant in this equation?

The determinant is a scalar value that represents the scaling factor of the matrix. In this equation, it is used to show the relationship between the values of the matrix and the result of the equation.

4. Can you provide an example of using this equation in scientific research?

Yes, this equation can be used in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it can be used in image processing to calculate the transformation between two images or in statistics to determine the covariance of a dataset.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using this equation?

Yes, the equation assumes that the matrix (I-xy'T) is invertible, meaning it has a non-zero determinant. If this is not the case, the equation cannot be used. Additionally, the equation only applies to matrices of the specified form and cannot be generalized to all matrices.