1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that differentiable curves have measure zero in R^2

1. Apr 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) Let [itex]\alpha:I=[a,b]→R^2[/itex] be a differentiable curve. Assume the parametrization is arc length. Show that for [itex]s_{1},s_{2}\in I, |\alpha(s_{1})-\alpha(s_{2})|≤|s_{1}-s_{2}|[/itex] holds.

(b) Use the previous part to show that given [itex]\epsilon >0[/itex] there are finitely many two dimensional open discs [itex]B_{\epsilon}(x_{i}), i=1,..,n[/itex] such that [itex]\alpha (I)\subset \cup _{i=1..n}B_{\epsilon}(x_{i})[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{i}Area(B_{\epsilon}(x_{i}))<\epsilon[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution

(a) For this I made an argument using the mean value theorem for equality. For all [itex]s\in I[/itex], we have [itex]|\alpha '(s)|=1[/itex] since the curve is parametrized by arc length. Then, given some [itex]s_{o}\in (s_{1},s_{2})[/itex] for some [itex]s_{1},s_{2}\in[a,b][/itex] we have by the mean value theorem

[itex]\frac{\alpha(s_{1})-\alpha(s_{2})}{s_{1}-s_{2}}=\alpha'(s_{o})[/itex]

whereby,

[itex]\frac{|\alpha(s_{1})-\alpha(s_{2})|}{|s_{1}-s_{2}|}=1[/itex], so equality holds.

I am unsure how I should show that it has to be less than. I will have to think of this more. What I am really stuck on is how to even attempt part (b). Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You seem to be applying the mean-value theorem like ##\alpha## was a function in one-variable. But in reality, it is a vector-valued function. Do you know the mean-value theorem for vector-valued functions?

4. Apr 4, 2014 #3
    Actually, I hadn't caught that until you pointed it out. I am not familiar with that theorem.

5. Apr 4, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, doesn't matter, you can do it with integrals easily.

LeTake ##v## a vector with ##\|v\|= 1##. Show that

[tex]\|\alpha(b) - \alpha(a)\| = \int_a^b \alpha^\prime(t)\cdot v ~dt \leq \int_a^b\|\alpha^\prime(t)\|dt[/tex]

then take a suitable ##v## to prove your conjecture.

6. Apr 4, 2014 #5
    Ok, so I have taken care of that. Thanks for the suggestions, they were quite helpful. I have also shown the second part quite well enough. The only thing that remains is the following:

(c) If h is a bounded continuous function on [itex]R^{2}[/itex], using the previous part, give a reasonable argument as to why

[itex]∫_{\alpha}h dx dy=0[/itex]

should hold.

The thought I had was to use the change of variables theorem to integrate over a larger set containing [itex]\alpha(I)[/itex]. But I suppose you would have to define some local parametrization in [itex]R^2[/itex], unless you took the union of the disks as in part (b) to be the locally parametrized surface? That seems really odd though and doesn't make a lot of sense. . .

7. Apr 4, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So in general, if ##E## is any set of measure ##0## and if ##f## is some function (let's say continuous), then

[tex]\int_E f = 0[/tex]

Try something like

[tex]\left|\int_E f\right| \leq \int_E |f|\leq \int_E \textrm{sup}(|f|)\leq \lambda(E)\textrm{sup}(|f|)[/tex]

8. Apr 4, 2014 #7
    What is the significance of [itex]\lambda(E)[/itex] in this case? Could you define that for me? It seems rather arbitrarily chosen to me.

9. Apr 4, 2014 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The function ##\lambda## is the Lebesgue measure. Have you not seen this?

10. Apr 5, 2014 #9
    Yes, now that makes sense. Our notation uses m rather than [itex]\lambda[/itex]. I appreciate your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted