Show that function is not an energy eigenfunction

In summary, the conversation discusses the Superposition state in relation to the time dependent and time independent Schrodinger Equations. It is verified that ψ is a solution of the time dependent Schrodinger Equation, but it is shown that it is not an energy eigenfunction and therefore not a solution to the time independent Schrodinger Equation. The Hamiltonian operator is used and it is stated that it is additive, leading to the conclusion that En is not an energy eigenvalue but rather a sum/superposition of two separate energies E1 and E4. It is then mentioned that the proof lies in showing that H(ψ1)+H(ψ4) is not a scalar multiple of ψ1 + ψ4.
beth92

Homework Statement

We are considering the Superposition state:

ψ(x,t) = 1/2 u1(x)e(-i/hbar)E1t + √3/2 u4(x) e(-i/hbar)E4t

We had to verify that ψ is a solution of the time dependent Schrodinger Equation, which I have done. Next we are asked to show that ψ is NOT an energy eigenfunction and therefore not a solution to the time independent Schrodinger Equation.

Homework Equations

Time Independent Schrodinger Equation: H(ψ(x,t)) = Enψ(x,t)
Hamiltonian operator: H= (-hbar/2m)∇2+V(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried to see if I could somehow show that the first equation did not hold and tried to apply the Hamiltonian on the left hand side, but I was just left with ∇2u(x) terms and I couldn't think of any way of simplifying them. Then I considered the time dependent Schrodinger which states that the Hamiltonian of ψ is equal to (i*hbar)dψ/dt. So I then set the right hand sides of each Schr. equation equal to each other (as the left hand side of both is the Hamiltonian) and tried to go about showing that this equality did not hold. I can't seem to get anywhere with this method. I'm wondering if there's a simpler way of doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi beth92! :smile:

hint: H is additive :wink:

Hmm okay. So can I just say that ψ is a superposition of two states ψ1 and ψ4 and that the time independent Schrodinger Equation then becomes:

H(ψ14) = En*(ψ14)

which, due to the fact that H is additive means that:

H(ψ1)+H(ψ4) = E1ψ1+E4ψ4

And therefore En is not an energy eigenvalue but is rather a sum/superposition of two separate energies E1 and E4...or does En just not exist at all? I feel like I almost understand it but I am struggling to come up with words to explain the conclusion.

hi beth92! :smile:
beth92 said:
… due to the fact that H is additive means that:

H(ψ1)+H(ψ4) = E1ψ1+E4ψ4

that's right …

now you have to prove that that is not a scalar multiple of ψ1 + ψ4 :wink:

I would first like to clarify the definition of an energy eigenfunction. An energy eigenfunction is a solution to the time independent Schrodinger Equation, where the energy of the system is well-defined and does not change with time. In other words, the energy eigenfunction is a stationary state of the system.

In this case, we are given a superposition state which is a linear combination of two different wavefunctions (u1 and u4). This means that the state is not a single, well-defined energy state, but rather a combination of two different energy states. Therefore, ψ is not an energy eigenfunction.

To show this mathematically, we can use the time independent Schrodinger Equation and the Hamiltonian operator. If ψ was an energy eigenfunction, then it would satisfy the equation H(ψ(x,t)) = Enψ(x,t), where En is the energy eigenvalue. However, when we apply the Hamiltonian operator to ψ, we get a combination of the two different energy eigenvalues E1 and E4. This means that ψ is not an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian and therefore not an energy eigenfunction.

In conclusion, we have shown that ψ is not an energy eigenfunction by using the definition of an energy eigenfunction and the time independent Schrodinger Equation.

What does it mean for a function to be an energy eigenfunction?

An energy eigenfunction is a specific type of function that satisfies the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics. It represents a state of the system with a definite energy value, and the function itself is invariant under time evolution.

How can you determine if a function is not an energy eigenfunction?

In order to show that a function is not an energy eigenfunction, you can apply the Schrödinger equation and see if it satisfies the conditions for an energy eigenfunction. This includes being a solution to the equation and being invariant under time evolution.

What are some common examples of functions that are not energy eigenfunctions?

Functions that are not energy eigenfunctions include wave packets, which represent a superposition of different energy states, and functions that are not solutions to the Schrödinger equation.

Can a function be both an energy eigenfunction and a non-energy eigenfunction?

No, a function cannot be both an energy eigenfunction and a non-energy eigenfunction. By definition, an energy eigenfunction satisfies the conditions for an energy eigenfunction and a non-energy eigenfunction does not.

How does the concept of energy eigenfunctions relate to the quantization of energy in quantum mechanics?

The concept of energy eigenfunctions is closely related to the quantization of energy in quantum mechanics. Energy eigenfunctions represent the allowed energy states of a system, and the quantization of energy means that the energy of a system can only take on discrete values, rather than any arbitrary value.