1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identical particles and separating the Schrodinger equation

1. Mar 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical particles, each of mass m, move in one dimension in the potential
    $$V = \frac{1}{2}A(x_1^2+x_2^2)+ \frac{1}{2}B(x_1-x_2)^2$$
    where A and B are positive constants and ##x_1## and ##x_2## denote the positions of the particles.
    a) Show that the Schrodinger equation is separable in the variables ##x_1+x_2## and ##x_1-x_2##. Find the eigenvalues and the corresponding eigenfunctions.
    b)Discuss the symmetry of the eigenfunctions with respect to particle exchange.

2. Relevant equations
    Schrodinger equation:
    $$HΨ = EΨ$$
    Hamiltonian for identical particles
    $$H = \frac{-ħ}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}-\frac{-ħ}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}+\frac{1}{2}A(x_1^2+x_2^2)+ \frac{1}{2}B(x_1-x_2)^2$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I plugged in the Hamiltonian into the Schrodinger equation, and separated variables by setting ##Ψ=X(x_1+x_2)Y(x_1-x_2)##, replaced Ψ with the product and divided by ##XY##. I end up with something I can't really solve. I'm mostly not sure if my separation method is correct, I'm confused on what it means by 'separable in the variables ##x_1+x_2## and ##x_1-x_2##' rather than just ##x_1## and ##x_2## for example. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Define two new variables, say ##R \equiv x_1+x_2## and ##r \equiv x_1-x_2## and try and rewrite the Hamiltonian in terms of ##R## and ##r##.

4. Mar 6, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the reply
    Rewriting the Hamiltonian in terms of those new variables, I get
    $$H = \frac{-ħ^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}-\frac{-ħ^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}+\frac{1}{2}A(R^2-2x_1x_2)+ \frac{1}{2}Br^2$$
    This seems incorrect though because of the factor of ##-2x_1x_2## which is due to ##R^2 = x_1^2 + x_2^2+2x_1x_2##. Also, how would I go about changing the terms ##\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}## and ##\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}## in terms of R and r?

5. Mar 6, 2017 #4

DrClaude

There is also a factor ##x_1x_2## that can appear from ##r^2##.

You have to use the multivariable chain rule.

6. Mar 6, 2017 #5
    Oh right! So I got
    $$H = \frac{-ħ^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}-\frac{-ħ^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}+\frac{1}{2}A(\frac{R^2}{2}+\frac{r^2}{2})+ \frac{1}{2}Br^2$$
    for the Hamiltonian.
    For the ##\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}## part I get that:
    $$ \frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}=\frac{d^2}{dR^2}(\frac{dR}{dx_1})^2=\frac{d^2}{dR^2}$$
    but I could have also used ##r## so am I just allowed to pick one thereby combining the two derivative terms (since the answer is the same for ##\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}##) or am I doing something wrong?

7. Mar 7, 2017 #6

DrClaude

The ##\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}## operator will act on a function of ##R## and ##r##, which both depend on ##x_1##.

Have a look at https://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/multichainrule/

8. Mar 7, 2017 #7
    Oh I see, I think I got it. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted