Identical particles and separating the Schrodinger equation

In summary, the Hamiltonian for two particles in one dimension is given by $$H=\frac{-ħ^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}-\frac{-ħ^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}+\frac{1}{2}A(\frac{R^2}{2}+\frac{r^2}{2})+\frac{1}{2}Br^2$$
mangojuice14

Homework Statement

Two identical particles, each of mass m, move in one dimension in the potential
$$V = \frac{1}{2}A(x_1^2+x_2^2)+ \frac{1}{2}B(x_1-x_2)^2$$
where A and B are positive constants and ##x_1## and ##x_2## denote the positions of the particles.
a) Show that the Schrodinger equation is separable in the variables ##x_1+x_2## and ##x_1-x_2##. Find the eigenvalues and the corresponding eigenfunctions.
b)Discuss the symmetry of the eigenfunctions with respect to particle exchange.

Homework Equations

Schrodinger equation:
$$HΨ = EΨ$$
Hamiltonian for identical particles
$$H = \frac{-ħ}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}-\frac{-ħ}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}+\frac{1}{2}A(x_1^2+x_2^2)+ \frac{1}{2}B(x_1-x_2)^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the Hamiltonian into the Schrodinger equation, and separated variables by setting ##Ψ=X(x_1+x_2)Y(x_1-x_2)##, replaced Ψ with the product and divided by ##XY##. I end up with something I can't really solve. I'm mostly not sure if my separation method is correct, I'm confused on what it means by 'separable in the variables ##x_1+x_2## and ##x_1-x_2##' rather than just ##x_1## and ##x_2## for example. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Define two new variables, say ##R \equiv x_1+x_2## and ##r \equiv x_1-x_2## and try and rewrite the Hamiltonian in terms of ##R## and ##r##.

DrClaude said:
Define two new variables, say ##R \equiv x_1+x_2## and ##r \equiv x_1-x_2## and try and rewrite the Hamiltonian in terms of ##R## and ##r##.
Thanks for the reply
Rewriting the Hamiltonian in terms of those new variables, I get
$$H = \frac{-ħ^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}-\frac{-ħ^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}+\frac{1}{2}A(R^2-2x_1x_2)+ \frac{1}{2}Br^2$$
This seems incorrect though because of the factor of ##-2x_1x_2## which is due to ##R^2 = x_1^2 + x_2^2+2x_1x_2##. Also, how would I go about changing the terms ##\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}## and ##\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}## in terms of R and r?

mangojuice14 said:
This seems incorrect though because of the factor of ##-2x_1x_2## which is due to ##R^2 = x_1^2 + x_2^2+2x_1x_2##.
There is also a factor ##x_1x_2## that can appear from ##r^2##.

mangojuice14 said:
Also, how would I go about changing the terms ##\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}## and ##\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}## in terms of R and r?
You have to use the multivariable chain rule.

Oh right! So I got
$$H = \frac{-ħ^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}-\frac{-ħ^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}+\frac{1}{2}A(\frac{R^2}{2}+\frac{r^2}{2})+ \frac{1}{2}Br^2$$
for the Hamiltonian.
For the ##\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}## part I get that:
$$ \frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}=\frac{d^2}{dR^2}(\frac{dR}{dx_1})^2=\frac{d^2}{dR^2}$$
but I could have also used ##r## so am I just allowed to pick one thereby combining the two derivative terms (since the answer is the same for ##\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}##) or am I doing something wrong?

mangojuice14 said:
For the ##\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}## part I get that:
$$ \frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}=\frac{d^2}{dR^2}(\frac{dR}{dx_1})^2=\frac{d^2}{dR^2}$$
but I could have also used ##r## so am I just allowed to pick one thereby combining the two derivative terms (since the answer is the same for ##\frac{d^2}{dx_2^2}##) or am I doing something wrong?
The ##\frac{d^2}{dx_1^2}## operator will act on a function of ##R## and ##r##, which both depend on ##x_1##.

Have a look at https://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/multichainrule/

Oh I see, I think I got it. Thanks!

1. What are identical particles in quantum mechanics?

Identical particles refer to particles that have the same physical properties such as mass, charge, and spin. In quantum mechanics, identical particles cannot be distinguished from one another and are described by the same wave function.

2. What is the significance of the Schrodinger equation in quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state and has been crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

3. How does the Schrodinger equation account for identical particles?

The Schrodinger equation is a single-particle equation and can be extended to account for identical particles by introducing the concept of a wave function for multiple particles. This wave function takes into account the symmetries of identical particles and ensures that the total wave function is symmetric or antisymmetric depending on the type of particles.

4. Can identical particles be separated in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, identical particles cannot be separated as they are described by the same wave function and cannot be distinguished from one another. This is known as the principle of indistinguishability and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

5. How does the concept of identical particles relate to quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become correlated in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. Identical particles can become entangled, and this has important implications for quantum information processing and quantum computing.