1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that ##\lim_{n->\infty} \frac{n^2}{2^n} = 0 ##

1. Feb 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show that
    [tex]\lim_{n->\infty} \frac{n^2}{2^n} = 0 [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

squeeze theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to use squeez theorem. I dont know how to do it because dont know how to reduce [itex]2^n[/itex]

However, I can solve this question like this.

Given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], find [itex]M \in N[/itex] such that [itex] M > max (4, \frac{1}{\epsilon}) [/itex] [itex]\mid \frac{n^2}{2^n} \mid = \frac{n^2}{2^n} < \frac{n}{n^2} = \frac{1}{n} < \frac{1}{M} <\epsilon[/itex]

[itex]2^n > n^2[/itex] and [itex]if x>4 [/itex]

My question is how can I solve this problem with squeez theorem ?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What about ##2^n > n^3## ?
    And I think you also need it in your prove. How became ##n^2 < n## in the above?

4. Feb 28, 2017 #3
    oh.. I made mistake. but 2^n < n^3 isn't it ?

5. Feb 28, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Yes, although you then need a higher lower bound for ##M##. ##4## won't do anymore, but this isn't a problem.
    And with that, your proof works and you can also use the same estimations for the squeeze theorem.

6. Mar 1, 2017 #5

Mark44

Is there some reason you need to use the squeeze theorem?

The expression you're taking the limit of can be written as ##\left(\frac{n^{2/n}} 2\right)^n##
    The problem then boils down to showing that ##\frac{n^{2/n}} 2 < 1##, which can be done using induction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted