Show that ##\lim_{n->\infty} \frac{n^2}{2^n} = 0 ##

  • Thread starter Thread starter kwangiyu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Real analysis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
kwangiyu
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


show that
[tex]\lim_{n->\infty} \frac{n^2}{2^n} = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations


squeeze theorem

The Attempt at a Solution




I tried to use squeez theorem. I don't know how to do it because don't know how to reduce [itex]2^n[/itex]

However, I can solve this question like this.

Given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], find [itex]M \in N[/itex] such that [itex]M > max (4, \frac{1}{\epsilon})[/itex] [itex]\mid \frac{n^2}{2^n} \mid = \frac{n^2}{2^n} < \frac{n}{n^2} = \frac{1}{n} < \frac{1}{M} <\epsilon[/itex]

[itex]2^n > n^2[/itex] and [itex]if x>4[/itex]My question is how can I solve this problem with squeez theorem ?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about ##2^n > n^3## ?
And I think you also need it in your prove. How became ##n^2 < n## in the above?
 
fresh_42 said:
What about ##2^n > n^3## ?
And I think you also need it in your prove. How became ##n^2 < n## in the above?
oh.. I made mistake. but 2^n < n^3 isn't it ?
 
Yes, although you then need a higher lower bound for ##M##. ##4## won't do anymore, but this isn't a problem.
And with that, your proof works and you can also use the same estimations for the squeeze theorem.
 
kwangiyu said:

Homework Statement


show that
[tex]\lim_{n->\infty} \frac{n^2}{2^n} = 0[/tex]

<snip>
My question is how can I solve this problem with squeez theorem ?
Is there some reason you need to use the squeeze theorem?

The expression you're taking the limit of can be written as ##\left(\frac{n^{2/n}} 2\right)^n##
The problem then boils down to showing that ##\frac{n^{2/n}} 2 < 1##, which can be done using induction.
 
Looks like the OP did not state/show whether he could proceed to solution...no follow up on his part.