1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that matrix AB has its row and column vectors in A and B

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given matrices A and B, show that the row vectors of AB are in the row space of B an the column vectors of AB are in the column space of A

2. Relevant equations
    Just matrix multiplication, reduced row echelon form, and leading one's for row and columns

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am unsure if I need to find the two separate matrices, or if this is just a general problem.
    I understand what they are asking, but I am unsure of how to find the right matrices, and what it means to be "in" the row and column vectors. I think it means that they are in the correct rows and columns from the respective single matrices A and B.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It means that a row of AB is a linear combination of rows of B and a column of AB is a linear combination of columns of A. All you need is the definition of matrix multiplication, A_{ij}*B_{jk}=(AB)_{ik}.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook