Show that the function satisfies the Schrodinger eqaution

In summary: You will see that the integrand of them are equal except for a constant factor. Since this is true for all values of k, the constant factor must be equal to. In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum mechanics and solving exercises related to the time-dependent one-dimensional Schrodinger equation with and without potential functions. The conversation also includes a discussion on the use of the Leibniz integral rule and the concept of a Hamiltonian.
pondzo

Homework Statement

So I am quite new to quantum mechanics and i am self teaching through a book called "Quantum mechanics for applied physics and engineering" by Albert Thomas Fromhold Jr. There are no solutions to the exercises, I am im not sure how to begin with these types of questions since they are new to me.

Quantum mechanics Qns.PNG

Homework Equations

1) Time dependent one-dimensional S.W.E
2) Time dependant one-dimensional S.W.E with potential function

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start for the first, i could try differentiating it, but I am not sure how, maybe the fundamental theorem of calculus ?

As for the second, I know i need to include a potential function for gravity which I am guessing would be of the form GMm/r^2 in the unit x direction...

Thanks for any pointers!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first, you should use the Leibniz integral rule.
And for the second, there are 2 problems with what you suggest:
1) The inverse square law is for the force, not for the potential.
2) The potential should be an accordance with the force. The potential 1/r is for the inverse square force. The uniform field of the question has a linear potential. In fact the potential is derived from [itex] V=-\int_{r_{ref}}^r \vec g \cdot \vec{dr} [/itex].

Hi Shyan, thank you for the reply.

I have tried to apply Leibniz's Integral rule as you suggested and have run into what seems a dead end;

## \psi_{xx}(x,t)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}-k^2A(k)e^{i(kx-wt)}dk##

## \psi_{t}(x,t)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}-i\omega A(k)e^{i(kx-wt)}dk##

When I sub both of these into the one dimensional time dependent Schrodinger equation,##\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\psi_{xx}=i\hbar\psi_{t}##, I get;

## \frac{\hbar}{2m}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}-k^2A(k)e^{i(kx-wt)}dk=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\omega A(k)e^{i(kx-wt)}dk##

I do not know where to proceed from here, I can't figure out how to make the integrals on either side of the equality look like each other (so i can cancel them) since i can't take k or ##\omega## out of the integral. I tried to use that k=w/v where v is velocity but to no avail. Another pointer would be greatly appreciated!

For part two, would the potential function be; ##V(x)=\frac{-GMm}{x}## ? Also can i assume that it is a one dimensional case, I suspect i can't since the hint involved the unit vector in the x direction, which seems to imply 3 dimensional space?

Your wave-function is the superposition of plane waves of all possible wave-numvers(Lets call them modes). Now for each mode([itex] \varphi_k(x) [/itex]), we know that its energy is only kinetic and so we have [itex] \hat H \varphi_k(x)=\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m}\varphi_k(x) [/itex]. We also know that [itex] i\hbar \partial_t \varphi_k(x)=\hbar \omega \varphi_k(x) [/itex]. So from Schrodinger equation, we have [itex] \hbar \omega=\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m} [/itex].
I told you about part two, but looks like you didn't pay attention. [itex] V(x)=-\int_{x_0}^x g \hat x \cdot \vec {dx'}=-\int_{x_0}^x g \hat x \cdot \hat x dx'=-\int_{x_0}^x g dx'=-g(x-x_0)[/itex], where [itex] x_0 [/itex] is the origin of the potential which is arbitrary.

I am not familiar with the notation ##\hat H##, does it represent the total energy of the system? I have not learned about Hamiltonians yet, would you reccomend that i do so before I learn QM? I think the book I am reading will introduce it soon though...
I did manage to get it to ##\omega=\frac{\hbar k^2}{2m}## but i couldn't see how this confirmed it is a valid solution. I'm obviously missing something quite important.

You should know what is a Hamiltonian so study about it. Anyway, [itex] \hat H=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + V(x) [/itex](for one particle in 1D). But because in the first exercise, V(x)=0, we have [itex] \hat H=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} [/itex].
Just take the integrals to the same side and factor [itex] A(k) e^{i(kx-\omega t)} dk [/itex].

1. How do you show that a function satisfies the Schrodinger equation?

In order to show that a function satisfies the Schrodinger equation, you must first substitute the function into the equation and then manipulate the equation algebraically until you arrive at an equivalent form. This process involves applying various mathematical operations, such as differentiation and integration, to both sides of the equation.

2. What is the Schrodinger equation used for?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the state of a quantum system changes over time. It is used to predict the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale and is essential for understanding the properties of atoms, molecules, and other small particles.

3. What are the key components of the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation consists of two main components: the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system, and the wave function, which describes the state of the system. The equation also includes the imaginary unit, Planck's constant, and the mass of the particle.

4. How is the Schrodinger equation related to the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger equation is a manifestation of the wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics. It describes how particles can behave both as waves and as discrete particles, depending on the context. The wave function in the equation represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle at a given location, exhibiting the wave-like behavior of quantum particles.

5. Can the Schrodinger equation be solved analytically?

In most cases, the Schrodinger equation cannot be solved analytically, meaning that there is no simple, closed-form solution. Instead, numerical methods and approximations are usually used to solve the equation and obtain solutions for specific systems. However, there are a few special cases where the equation can be solved analytically, such as for simple systems like the hydrogen atom.