Show that the given Green Function is the propagator of a certain Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a propagator and its relation to Green functions. The individual is unsure of what is meant by "showing that X is a propagator" and shares their understanding of propagators and Green functions. They mention a partial result they have obtained and ask for clarification on whether their claim is correct.
Markus Kahn
Homework Statement
The Lagrangian density for the electromagnetic potential with gauge-fixing term reads
$$\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4} F_{\mu \nu}(x) F^{\mu \nu}(x)-\frac{1}{2} \xi^{-1}\left(\partial_{\mu} A^{\mu}(x)\right)^{2}.$$

Show that the photon propagator (Green function) with arbitrary gauge parameter ##\xi## is
given
$$G_{\mu \nu}^{\mathrm{V}}(x-y)=\int \frac{\mathrm{d} p^{4}}{(2 \pi)^{4}} \frac{\mathrm{e}^{i p(x-y)}}{p^{2}}\left(\eta_{\mu \nu}-(1-\xi) \frac{p_{\mu} p_{\nu}}{p^{2}}\right).$$
Note: we will not care about on-shell contributions to the propagator.
Relevant Equations
All given above
My fundamental issue with this exercise is that I don't really know what it means to "show that X is a propagator".. Up until know I encountered only propagators of the from ##\langle 0\vert [\phi(x),\phi(y)] \vert 0\rangle##, which in the end is a transition amplitude and can be interpreted as a probability.
Green Functions on the other hand I only know as mathematical objects for which we have ##D G(x,y)=\delta(x-y)##, where ##D## is some kind of differential operator. But what exactly am I supposed to do now with the given "Propagator" ##G_{\mu\nu}^V## to show that it actually is one?

Physics news on Phys.org
After some trying out I was able to obtain a partial result I think.

First derive the EoM for the given Lagrangian, which results in
$$\partial^2 A^\rho -\partial^\rho\partial^\lambda A_\lambda + \xi^{-1}\partial^\rho\partial^\lambda A_\lambda=0.$$
Now we can apply the following trick to get the EoM into a nicer form for our purposes:
$$D^{\rho\lambda}A_\lambda\equiv(\partial^2 \eta^{\rho\lambda} -\partial^\rho\partial^\lambda(1-\xi^{-1})) A_\lambda=0.$$

My claim now would be that we have ##D^{\rho\lambda}G^V_{\mu\nu}(x-y)=\delta^\rho_\mu\delta^\lambda_\nu\delta(x-y).## I can show that we have ##D^{\mu\nu}G^V_{\mu\nu}(x-y)=\delta(x-y)##, but for ##\mu,\nu\neq\rho,\lambda## respectively I just can't show that we have ##D^{\rho\lambda}G^V_{\mu\nu}(x-y)=0##. So is my claim wrong, or can it be shown? (and obviously, does what I have done here even make sense in the context of the exercise?)

1. How do you define a Green Function?

A Green Function is a mathematical function that satisfies a specific differential equation, typically with a delta function as its source term. It is used to solve boundary value problems in physics and engineering.

2. What is the significance of a Green Function being the propagator of a Lagrangian?

The propagator of a Lagrangian is a specific type of Green Function that is used in quantum field theory to calculate the amplitude of a particle propagating from one point to another. It is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in a quantum field.

3. How is a Green Function related to the concept of causality?

A Green Function is a causal function, meaning it only depends on the past values of the source term and not on the future values. This is important in physics as it ensures that the solution to a problem is only affected by events that occurred before the present time.

4. Can any Lagrangian have a corresponding Green Function?

No, not every Lagrangian has a corresponding Green Function. It must satisfy certain conditions, such as being a causal function and having a delta function as its source term, in order to have a Green Function that acts as its propagator.

5. How is a Green Function used in practical applications?

Green Functions have various practical applications in physics and engineering, such as in solving differential equations, modeling the behavior of particles in a quantum field, and understanding the propagation of waves. They are also used in signal processing and image reconstruction techniques.