1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the T is a linear transformation

1. May 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

T:R2[x] --> R4[x]
    T(f(x)) = (x^3-x)f(x^2)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let f(x) and g(x) be two functions in R2[x].
    T(f(x) + g(x)) = T(f+g(x)) = (x^3-x)(f+g)(x^2) = (x^3-x)f(x^2) + (x^3-x)g(x^2) = T(f(x)) + T(g(x)).
    let a be scalar in R:
    aT(f(x)) = a(x^3-x)f(x^2) = (x^3-x)af(x^2) = T(af(x)).

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, what is your question for us?

4. May 31, 2016 #3
    Title, to show that T is linear transformation, what i did is enough?

5. May 31, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suggest you try to answer that for yourself. Ask yourself: have you verified all the required properties that a linear transformation would have? If you are unsure, then ask yourself which properties you think you have missed.

6. May 31, 2016 #5
    These are the two properties that is required, but the way that it's shown, since it's with a function, is correct?

7. Jun 1, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What are R2[x] and R4[x]?
    Are these polynomials with real coefficients of degree less than 2 and 4, respectively?

8. Jun 4, 2016 #7
    that's correct.

9. Jun 4, 2016 #8
    I have been told now it should be R6[x].

How can i see that it's right?, that's it R6[x] and not R4[x] or i can't see it and it depends on f(x) and it's pre-defined?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  10. Jun 4, 2016 #9

Mark44

Who told you that?
    Since ##f \in R_2[x]##, then f(x) = ax +b, right? According to the formula you posted, what is T[f(x)]?

11. Jun 4, 2016 #10
    Forgot about that simple fact.

T(f(x)) = T(ax+b)= (x3-x)*(ax2+b) , which is really a polynomial of degree 5 , so the image of transformation is indeed at R6[x] - All the polynomial of degree 5 or less.3
    class teacher.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  12. Jun 4, 2016 #11

Mark44

I got confused since different textbooks describe spaces like R6[x] as "polynomials of degree less than 6" and others describe the as "polynomials of degree less than or equal to 6." Also, the notation I've seen many times is p2[x] to mean the same as your R2[x].

The work you did in the first post seems OK to me, but I think the intent of the problem is that you should show how things work with the specific spaces that are given. It should be easy to show that T[f + g] = T[f] + T[g] and that T[af] = aT[f], but I believe they want you to use generic functions in R2[x].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted