1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that two vectors are a basis of a subspace

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    Question: In R3, show that (1,-1,0) and (0,1,-1) are a basis for the subspace V={(x,y,z) [tex]\in[/tex] R3: x+y+z=0}

Attempt: By def of a basis, the vectors (1) must be linearly independent and (2) must span V.

1. For LI, show that if a(1,-1,0) + b(0,1,-1) = (0,0,0), then a=b=0.
    (a,-a,0)+(0,b,-b)=(0,0,0)
    (a,b-a,-b)=(0,0,0)
    a=0, b-a=0, -b=0
    Since the zero vector can only be expressed as a combination of a=0 and b=0, the two vectors are linearly idependent.

2. I'm not really certain how to show if the two vectors span V. If I was to guess, I'd say plug in the vectors into V, so (1,-1,0)((1,1,1)t)=0 and (0,1,-1)((1,1,1)t)=0, but I could be wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To show they span the space you just need to show for any (x,y,z) with x+y+z=0 you can find a and b such that a(1,-1,0)+b(0,1,-1) = (x,y,z)

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    So, I show that a(1,-1,0)+b(0,1,-1)=(x,y,z) by a=x, b-a=y and -b=z. Then b=-z, a=-y-z, a=x, so x=-y-z?

Or did I misunderstand?

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have a bunch of correct equations, but it's hard to say whether you understand. Try to arrange it like this:

To get a(1,-1,0)+b(0,1,-1)=(x,y,z) you must have a = ... and b = ....
    Then demonstrate those values of a and b do the job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook