1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that W is a subspace of R3

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    ε1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let W = R3 be the set W = {(x,y,z)|z=y-2x}. Show that W is a subspace of R3

2. Relevant equations
    From the equations my teacher gave me I know that if W is to be a subspace it needs to follow:

1.) U,VεW then (U + V)εW,
    2.)UεW and K(random constant)εW then KUεW

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I haven't really figured out how to attempt this problem but from what I know is that you need to assign U and V to something. From what Ive done so far I have U = (1,-2,-1) and V = (2,-4,-2). I got those numbers from the z=y-2x equation. Then U+V = (3,-6,-3), which I believe froms the first equation I gave.
    Then I believe I pick a random constant for K, so ill choose 3. So 3U = (3,-6,-3) which proves the second equation.

Are these the proper steps to solving this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2
    Also I just realized that I mixed up x and y in when I placed them in U and V, but are the steps still correct?

4. May 1, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It must also be true that 0 ε W.
    No, they aren't. You can't pick any particular vectors in W and you can't pick a particular constant. You need to show that
    1) 0 ε W.
    2) For any vectors u and v in W, u + v ε W.
    3) For any constant k and any vector u in W, ku ε W.

If you are given an arbitrary vector u = <u1, u2, u3> in R3, how can you tell whether that vector is in W?

5. May 1, 2012 #4
    So to show that 0 εW, do i plug (0,0,0) into z=y-2x?

And if I was given any arbitrary vector I should just be able to plug it into z=y-2x correct?
    I am not given any vectors though, just what is shown. I cannot quite wrap my head around this.

6. May 1, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Sort of. A better way to show this is to show that (0, 0, 0) satisfies the equation z = y - 2x.
    Any vector u in W must satisfy this equation.

Here's how to approach this problem:

Let u = <u1, u2, u3> be an arbitrary vector in W. From the definition of set W, it must be true that u3 = u2 - 2u1.

Now take another arbitrary vector v in W. Show that u + v ##\in## W.

For the third part, show that for any arbitrary real number k, and any vector u ##\in## W, then ku ##\in## W.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook