1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show the angle between phi(t1)-phi(t0) is 0 or pi

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    Let a,b[tex]\in[/tex]R[tex]^{m}[/tex], b[tex]\neq[/tex]0 and set [tex]\phi[/tex](t)=a+tb.

We must show that the angle between [tex]\phi[/tex](t[tex]_{1}[/tex])-[tex]\phi[/tex](t[tex]_{0}[/tex]) and [tex]\phi[/tex](t[tex]_{2}[/tex])-[tex]\phi[/tex](t[tex]_{0}[/tex])
    is 0 or [tex]\pi[/tex] for any t[tex]_{0}[/tex],t[tex]_{1}[/tex],t[tex]_{2}[/tex],[tex]\in[/tex]R with t[tex]_{1}[/tex],t[tex]_{2}[/tex][tex]\neq[/tex].

The 0,1, and 2 are supposed to be subscripts next to t, but my Latex is showing is as superscripts? I don't know why.

Here is my work:
    I don't know where to start. My guess is we start with [tex]\phi[/tex](t)=a+tb. Do we use the law of cosines? How can I even begin to show what looks like arbitrary definitions, arbitrary values and show either 0 or [tex]\pi[/tex]? Please
    help me. It isn't lack of trying, I need to attack this problem, but I feel more like I am drowning.

Thank You,
    HF08

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]\vec{a}+ t\vec{b}[/itex] is a straight line. The lines from the point [itex]\phi(t_0)[/itex] and any other points on that same line are exactly the same line. If the two points are the same side of [itex]\phi(t_0)[/itex] then the angle is 0, if on opposite sides, [itex]\pi[/itex].

4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    Hf08

Holy smokes, freaking dumb. I am today's biggest stupid person. I really don't think I am stupid, I just feel that way. I do want to make things more formal.

So could I say given t0, t1, if t1<t0, then it follows that we will get pi? Otherwise,
    if t0<t1, we will get 0. I think this is "obvious". I don't know how formal I should make it?

Perhaps I should say, if phi(t1)<phi(t0). This is more concrete. Since they are on the same line, then it follows that our angle is pi. Agreed?

Thanks,
    HF08

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?