Show the roots of unity add up to zero.

  • Thread starter Thread starter zheng89120
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Roots Unity Zero
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
zheng89120
Messages
139
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex] wk = 0

and there has to be at least two phasors/exponentials

Homework Equations



complex analysis

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried writing out the sigma on the first line.

Then I tried writing the same thing with n+1 on the second line.

Then I tried to divide the first exponential of the n+1 line by the first exponential of the first line, called A.

Then I divided the bottom by A, which should factor to get the first line as a factor, but could still not get the first line from the n+1, second line.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zheng89120 said:

Homework Statement



Prove that [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex] wk = 0

and there has to be at least two phasors/exponentials

Homework Equations



complex analysis

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried writing out the sigma on the first line.

Then I tried writing the same thing with n+1 on the second line.

Then I tried to divide the first exponential of the n+1 line by the first exponential of the first line, called A.

Then I divided the bottom by A, which should factor to get the first line as a factor, but could still not get the first line from the n+1, second line.

It seems that you are trying to do a proof by induction, but you didn't state that very clearly. At least, that's what I think you were doing.

One thing that you are forgetting is that the things you are adding are roots of unity. In your original summation, (wk)n = 1, for 1 <= k <= n.