1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generating correlated random variables via gausssian copula

Tags:
  1. Jun 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to generate two random variables, one is normally distributed N ~N(10, 25) and the other one, E, is exponentially distributed with mean 1. I was not given a particular correlation coefficient.

2. Relevant equations
    normal cdf, exponential cdf, inverse transform method.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I get two independent standard normals A, B.
    Then I generate a correlated normal C, with unknown correlation coefficient p through a linear combination of A, B, C = pA + sqrt{1-p^2}B. To get N, I simply transform A such as N = 10 + 5A. Then I use the normal CDF to get the unif(0,1) variable corresponding with C, F(C) = U where U~unif(0,1). From inverse transform of exponential cdf, I get that E = -ln(1-U). Is this a correct approach? I am also not sure if given the information in the first two lines I could have inferred some correlation coefficient p.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes that approach is correct. It is not possible to infer the correlation coefficient. The Gaussian copula is a one-parameter joint distribution of two uniform RVs, and that parameter is p. In this problem, any value of p in the range [-1,1] can be chosen, although the lecturer might think you were being a smart-alec if you chose 0, 1 or -1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted