1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing A^-1 has eigenvalues reciprocal to A's eigenvalues

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A is nonsingular, prove that the eigenvalues of A-1 are the reciprocals of the eigenvalues of A.

*Use the idea of similar matrices to prove this.

2. Relevant equations
    det(I[tex]\lambda[/tex] - A) = 0
    B = C-1AC (B and A are similar, and thus have the same determinants)

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first I showed that A is nonsingular iff 0 is not an eigenvalue of A. To do this I just used the fact that det(A-1) = 1/det(A) and that if lambda was 0, then we'd have det(A) = 0, which would mean A-1 is undefined. If lambda isn't 0, then we have det(I[tex]\lambda[/tex] - A) = 0, which tells us A is nonsingular.

As for the other proof, I'm convinced I have to use the idea of similar matrices, because the book I am using is focusing on them right now, and these exercises are relating to them.
    But A-1 and A are not the same linear transformation (unless A = I), so they are not similar. Therefore I cannot use the formula: B = C-1AC

So, I am lost on how to do this proof using the idea of similar matrices. Anyone know how I could accomplish this?

-Ian

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you required to use "similar matrices"? If [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue of A, with eigenvector v, then [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex]. Now take [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] of both sides of that equation.

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    Well, if I didn't then I wouldn't be learning anything about them. I mean, most of these proofs I don't see how to use similar matricies to figure them out... There's a huge number:

a) If A can be diagonalized, then its eigenvalues are distinct. I said this is false. I just used a counter example in the form of the 3x3 identity matrix. How would I use similar matricies for this??

b) If all eigenvalues of A are equal to 2, then B-1AB = 2I for some nonsingular B. I see how this one relates to similar matricies, but have no clue on how to prove it.

c) if all eigenvalues of A are zero, then A is the zero matrix. (No clue how to prove)

d) If all eigenvalues of A are zero, then A is similar to the zero matrix.

e) If B = C-1AC then B3 = C-1A3C (I think I can prove this using determinants)

f) If A is nonsingular, then all its eigenvalues are nonzero. - This is true, but it easily follows from my proof I presented earlier. I did not use similar matricies.

g) There exist 3x3 real matricies with no real eigenvalue (I don't see how similar matrices comes into play here)

I have a test today, so that is why I am trying to figure this stuff out. Any idea on how similar values would apply to any of these proofs? Any idea how I would prove some of them?
    -Ian

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook