1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a Sequence Also Satisfies the Fibonacci Sequence

1. Jan 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem:
    Let r satisfy r2= r + 1. Show that the sequence an = Arn, where A is constant, satisfies the Fibonacci sequence an = an-1 + an-2 for n > 2.

2. Relevant equations

The given equations above are the only relevant equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think have to show that Arn = Arn-1 + Arn-2, but I'm not sure how to manipulate the given equations to achieve such a thing. I can factor one side so that Arn = A(rn-1 + rn-2), and then say that rn = rn-1 + n-2, but I have no idea what to do from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Divide both sides by r^(n-2).

4. Jan 17, 2013 #3
    So, I'm guessing I can manipulate the exponents as you would normal ones, and dividing both sides by rn-2 would result in r2 = rn-1, correct?

5. Jan 17, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No? What are r^n/r^(n-2), r^(n-1)/r^(n-2) and r^(n-2)/r^(n-2)??

6. Jan 17, 2013 #5
    rn/rn-2 = rn-1/rn-2 + 1, which simplifies to r2 = r + 1.

I'm still unsure of how this can be used to prove that Arn also satisfies the Fibonacci sequence.

EDIT: Does showing that the two set equal to each other simplifies to r2 = r + 1 prove that the two are equal? If so, why is that? This question really seems to be going right over my head.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  7. Jan 17, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't prove the two are equal. It proves that if r^2=r+1 then Ar^n=Ar^(n-1)+Ar^(n-2). All of your steps are reversible. Multiply both sides of r^2=r+1 by Ar^(n-2).

8. Jan 17, 2013 #7
    Thank you for the explanation! I was thinking in just one way rather than looking at the problem from multiple angles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook