1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing an analytic function is identically zero

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a claim from a Wikipedia page about analytic functions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_function), and I can't seem to prove it.

If [tex](r_{n})[/tex] is a sequence of distinct numbers such that [tex]f(r_{n}) = 0[/tex] for all n and this sequence converges to a point r in the domain of D, then f is identically zero on the connected component of D containing r.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]f(x) = \sum a_{n}x^{n}[/tex]

[tex]f(x_{n})=0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to prove the case when r=0. If f is analytic, then it can be represented by some power series. If you look at some sequence [tex](r_n) = 1/n[/tex], then the zeros of f bunch up near 0. It is clear to me that f(0)=0 (since f is continuous), so [tex]a_{0}=0[/tex]. It is also clear to me that f '(0)=0, and so [tex]a_{1}=0[/tex]. It seems like the way to go is to show (using induction) that each [tex]a_{n}[/tex] is 0 by showing that all derivatives at 0 are equal to 0.

Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2
    That's correct. It follows from this that two analytic functions that have the same values in the r_n are identitical. Analytic continuation is thus unique.

4. Apr 1, 2010 #3
    I am having problems with the induction for the derivatives. I already showed f '(0)=0. Assuming

[tex]f^{(k)}(0)=0[/tex],

we need to show that

[tex]f^{(k+1)}(0)=0[/tex].

We compute

[tex]f^{(k+1)}(0)=\frac{f^{(k)}(x)-f^{(k)}(0)}{x-0}=\frac{f^{(k)}(x)}{x}[/tex]

But I don't see why this is 0. Any suggestions?

5. Apr 1, 2010 #4
    You need to take limit of x to zero. You can compute that limit by taking for x the sequence of the rn that tend to zero and computing the lmit for n to infinity. For all n you have that:

[tex]\frac{f^{\left k\right)}\left(r_{n}\right)}{r_{n}}=0[/tex]

So, the limit is clearly zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook