1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing determinant of product is product of dets for linear operators

1. Nov 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume A and B are normal linear operators [itex][A,A^{t}]=0[/itex] (where A^t is the adjoint)

show that det AB = detAdetB

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I know that since the operators commute with their adjoint the eigenbases form orthonormal sets. I'm not really sure how to proceed though so any assistance would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2013 #2
    I think I've got a solution for this but I'm not sure if it's general enough.

So since each operators eigenbasis forms an orthonormal set you can choose any convenient orthonormal basis. If I pick the standard cartesian basis (i,j,k) then each operator can be represented by the identity matrix. From here it is straight forward to show the identity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted