Showing determinant of product is product of dets for linear operators

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Hakkinen
Messages
42
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Assume A and B are normal linear operators [itex][A,A^{t}]=0[/itex] (where A^t is the adjoint)

show that det AB = detAdetB


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Well I know that since the operators commute with their adjoint the eigenbases form orthonormal sets. I'm not really sure how to proceed though so any assistance would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've got a solution for this but I'm not sure if it's general enough.

So since each operators eigenbasis forms an orthonormal set you can choose any convenient orthonormal basis. If I pick the standard cartesian basis (i,j,k) then each operator can be represented by the identity matrix. From here it is straight forward to show the identity.