1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing equality of dimensions

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let α ∈ ℂ be a complex number. Let V = ℚ(α) be the rational vector space spanned by powers of α. That is
    ℚ(α) = <1,α,α2,....>.
    1) If P(t) is a polynomial of degree n such that P(α) = 0, show that dimℚ(α) is at most n.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here
    is my take on this question. Please give me some feedback/corrections.

Since ℚ(α) = <1,α,α2,....> we know that 1,α,α2,... span ℚ(α).
    To show that dimℚ(α) is at most n, we must show that 1,α,α2,..,αn-1 is a basis of ℚ(α).
    To show it is a basis,
    i) 1,α,α2,..,αn-1 must span ℚ(α)
    ii) 1,α,α2,..,αn-1 must be linearly independent.

For span:I would say that since 1,α,... spans ℚ(α) then 1,α,...,αn-1 spans ℚ(α) because its elements are in the set 1,α,...

For linear independence: I was thinking of using induction but I'm not sure how I should go about it.

As for P(α) = 0 I am not quite sure what relevance it has. It tells us that
    P(α) = a0 + a1α + a2α2 + . . . + an-1αn-1 = 0
    Perhaps it helps showing linear independence since we want 1,α,...,αn-1 to be written as
    a0 + a1α + a2α2 + . . . + an-1αn-1 = 0 where a0 = a1 = . . . = an-1 = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that last thing your notation for the space spanned by ##\{\alpha^n|n\in\mathbb N\}##? <x,y,z> usually denotes the ordered triple that most books write as (x,y,z), and since ordered n-tuples are finite sequences, my first instinct is to interpret your notation as representing a sequence, not a vector space or a subset of a vector space.

We know that ##\{1,\alpha,\dots\}## is a spanning set for ##\mathbb Q(\alpha)## because ##\mathbb Q(\alpha)## is defined as the space spanned by ##\{1,\alpha,\dots\}##. So you don't need to provide an argument for it.

This may be unnecessary. It's sufficient to prove that ##\mathbb Q(\alpha)## doesn't contain a linearly independent subset of cardinality ##n+1##.

Recall that a set ##\{x_1,\dots,x_r\}## with all the ##x_i## distinct is said to be linearly independent if the following implication holds for all scalars ##a_1,\dots,a_r##:
    $$\sum_{i=1}^r a_i x_i=0\ \Rightarrow\ a_1=\dots=a_r=0.$$
    Edit: Is there anything in the problem statement that specifies that the polynomial function P has rational coefficients? I think we need it to have only rational coefficients.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  4. Mar 24, 2015 #3
    My professor uses the notation <1,α,α2,....> but yes it is a spanning set.

So, by proving this, does it automatically prove that the subset of cardinality n is linearly dependent? If yes then what theorem/definition says this?

But P(α) = 0 does not tell me anything about linear independence. Even though it is equal to zero, I do not know whether all of its coefficients are equal to zero.

5. Mar 24, 2015 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, but that's not a problem here. To prove that the space is n-dimensional, you would have to prove that it has a linearly independent subset of cardinality n, and doesn't have a linearly independent subset of cardinality n+1. To prove that it's at most n-dimensional, you only need to prove that it doesn't have a linearly independent subset of cardinality n+1.

Note that what exactly you need to prove, or what theorems you need to use, depends on what exactly your definitions are. I like the definition of "dimension" that says that the dimension of a non-trivial vector space X is the largest integer n such that X contains a linearly independent set of cardinality n. If this is the definition used in the book, then it's sufficient to prove that there's no linearly independent subset of cardinality n+1. If the book uses the definition that says that the dimension of X is the cardinality of a basis for X, it's sufficient to prove that there's no basis for this vector space of cardinality n+1 (and since a basis is linearly independent, you can do this by proving that there's no linearly independent subset of cardinality n+1).

When n>0, you know that they're not all equal to zero, because if they were, we wouldn't say that the degree of P is n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted