1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing IVP with composition of functions

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that f has the intermediate value property on an interval J, that g has the intermediate value property on an interval I and that g(I) is a subset of J. Prove that f°g has intermediate value property on I.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I might have simplified too much and missed the point. Here is my work so far...

Since f has IVP on J, there is an a,b in J and a≠b and v is a number between f(a) and f(b) such that there is a c between a and b that f(c)=v.

Similarly for g, there is a e,f in I and e≠f and u is a number between g(e) and g(f) such that there is a d between e and f that g(d)=u.

Since g(I) is a subset of J, f(g(I)) is a subset of f(J).

Then f(g(e)) and f(g(f)) are numbers such that f(g(e))≠f(g(f)). Since g(d)=u is between e and f, then f(u) is between f(g(e) and f(g(f)) since f has IVP on J.

∴f°g has IVP on I.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First of all -- and this is a good place to start -- What do you need to show to prove that f°g has intermediate value property on I ?

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3

Yes, that is what I am hoping to show.

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. What I meant was:

What is it that needs to be shown in order to prove that f○g has intermediate value property on I ?

In other words: How does f○g need to behave to demonstrate that f○g has the intermediate value property on the interval, I ?

6. Sep 23, 2012 #5
    Sorry, I misread.

That for some distinct a,b in f(g(I)), for v between f(g(a)) and f(g(b)) there is a c in I that f(g(c))=v is what needs to be shown I think.

7. Sep 23, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For one thing, a & b are in I not in f(g(I)) .

For another, this must be true for every a,b in I such that a < b .

So, to go for there, for any a,b in I such that a < b, what does the fact that g has the intermediate value property on I tell you about v between g(a) and g(b) ?

8. Sep 23, 2012 #7
    There is a c in I so that g(c)=v. Then this extends to the composition?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook