Showing IVP with composition of functions

In summary: There is a c in I so that g(c)=v. Then this extends to the composition?Yes, that's it!So, given any a, b in I such that a < b, what can you say about f(g(a)) and f(g(b)) ?Yes, that's it!So, given any a, b in I such that a < b, what can you say about f(g(a)) and f(g(b)) ?f(g(a)) < f(g(b)) at least?Yes, that's true, but we can say more. Because g has the intermediate value property on I, there is a c in I such that g(c) = v, where v is between g
k3k3

Homework Statement

Suppose that f has the intermediate value property on an interval J, that g has the intermediate value property on an interval I and that g(I) is a subset of J. Prove that f°g has intermediate value property on I.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I might have simplified too much and missed the point. Here is my work so far...

Since f has IVP on J, there is an a,b in J and a≠b and v is a number between f(a) and f(b) such that there is a c between a and b that f(c)=v.

Similarly for g, there is a e,f in I and e≠f and u is a number between g(e) and g(f) such that there is a d between e and f that g(d)=u.

Since g(I) is a subset of J, f(g(I)) is a subset of f(J).

Then f(g(e)) and f(g(f)) are numbers such that f(g(e))≠f(g(f)). Since g(d)=u is between e and f, then f(u) is between f(g(e) and f(g(f)) since f has IVP on J.

∴f°g has IVP on I.

Physics news on Phys.org
k3k3 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that f has the intermediate value property on an interval J, that g has the intermediate value property on an interval I and that g(I) is a subset of J. Prove that f°g has intermediate value property on I.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I might have simplified too much and missed the point. Here is my work so far...

Since f has IVP on J, there is an a,b in J and a≠b and v is a number between f(a) and f(b) such that there is a c between a and b that f(c)=v.

Similarly for g, there is a e,f in I and e≠f and u is a number between g(e) and g(f) such that there is a d between e and f that g(d)=u.

Since g(I) is a subset of J, f(g(I)) is a subset of f(J).

Then f(g(e)) and f(g(f)) are numbers such that f(g(e))≠f(g(f)). Since g(d)=u is between e and f, then f(u) is between f(g(e) and f(g(f)) since f has IVP on J.

∴f°g has IVP on I.
First of all -- and this is a good place to start -- What do you need to show to prove that f°g has intermediate value property on I ?

SammyS said:
First of all -- and this is a good place to start -- What do you need to show to prove that f°g has intermediate value property on I ?

Yes, that is what I am hoping to show.

k3k3 said:
Yes, that is what I am hoping to show.

No. What I meant was:

What is it that needs to be shown in order to prove that f○g has intermediate value property on I ?

In other words: How does f○g need to behave to demonstrate that f○g has the intermediate value property on the interval, I ?

SammyS said:
No. What I meant was:

What is it that needs to be shown in order to prove that f○g has intermediate value property on I ?

In other words: How does f○g need to behave to demonstrate that f○g has the intermediate value property on the interval, I ?

Sorry, I misread.

That for some distinct a,b in f(g(I)), for v between f(g(a)) and f(g(b)) there is a c in I that f(g(c))=v is what needs to be shown I think.

k3k3 said:
Sorry, I misread.

That for some distinct a,b in f(g(I)), for v between f(g(a)) and f(g(b)) there is a c in I that f(g(c))=v is what needs to be shown I think.

For one thing, a & b are in I not in f(g(I)) .

For another, this must be true for every a,b in I such that a < b .

So, to go for there, for any a,b in I such that a < b, what does the fact that g has the intermediate value property on I tell you about v between g(a) and g(b) ?

SammyS said:
For one thing, a & b are in I not in f(g(I)) .

For another, this must be true for every a,b in I such that a < b .

So, to go for there, for any a,b in I such that a < b, what does the fact that g has the intermediate value property on I tell you about v between g(a) and g(b) ?

There is a c in I so that g(c)=v. Then this extends to the composition?

What is the definition of a composition of functions?

A composition of functions is a mathematical operation that combines two or more functions to form a new function. The output of one function becomes the input of another function, creating a chain of functions.

How can I use composition of functions to show the Inverse Function Property (IVP)?

To show IVP using composition of functions, you can start by assuming that f and g are inverse functions of each other. Then, use the definition of inverse functions to show that the composition of f and g is equal to the identity function. This will prove that g is the inverse of f and vice versa, thus demonstrating IVP.

Can I use composition of functions to prove that two functions are inverses of each other?

Yes, composition of functions is a useful tool to prove inverse functions. By composing two functions and showing that the resulting function is equal to the identity function, you can prove that the two functions are inverses of each other.

Is the composition of two one-to-one functions always a one-to-one function?

Yes, if the two functions are both one-to-one (injective), then the composition of the two functions will also be one-to-one. This is because the composition of one-to-one functions will always have a unique input for every output, preserving the one-to-one property.

Why is it important to show IVP using composition of functions?

Showing IVP using composition of functions is an important concept in mathematics as it helps to prove the existence of inverse functions. This is a fundamental property that is essential in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra.