Show that the order of a cycle is the length of the cycle

In summary: Yes and no. Yes, because the index problem is solved, no because there is no need for the modulo in the notation as a variable of ##\sigma## since ##\sigma## is only defined modulo ##m##. To write ##\sigma^m (a_{k \mod m})## creates unnecessary confusion. But for the results, we have to make sure that the formula is defined! So the index of the result has to be wrapped around. For ##a_k## in the role of a variable, it has already...
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that if ##\sigma## is the m-cycle ##(a_1 ~a_2~ \dots ~ a_m)##, then for all ##i \in \{1,2, \dots , m \}##, ##\sigma^i (a_k) = a_{k+i}##. Deduce that ##\sigma^m (a_k) = a_k##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I will try to do this by induction. Clearly, ##\sigma (a_k) = a_{k+1}##, as that is how ##\sigma## is defined. Now, suppose that for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}## ##\sigma^n (a_k) = a_{k+n}##. Then ##\sigma^{n+1} (a_k) = \sigma( \sigma^n (a_k) ) = \sigma (a_{k+n}) = \sigma_{a + k + 1} ##.

So I feel like I'm done, but I also feel that I've proved this statement for all ##i \in \mathbb{N}##, rather than for all ##i \in \{1,2, \dots , m \}##. How do I modify it to get it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if ##\sigma## is the m-cycle ##(a_1 ~a_2~ \dots ~ a_m)##, then for all ##i \in \{1,2, \dots , m \}##, ##\sigma^i (a_k) = a_{k+i}##. Deduce that ##\sigma^m (a_k) = a_k##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I will try to do this by induction. Clearly, ##\sigma (a_k) = a_{k+1}##, as that is how ##\sigma## is defined. Now, suppose that for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}## ##\sigma^n (a_k) = a_{k+n}##. Then ##\sigma^{n+1} (a_k) = \sigma( \sigma^n (a_k) ) = \sigma (a_{k+n}) = \sigma_{a + k + 1} ##.

So I feel like I'm done, but I also feel that I've proved this statement for all ##i \in \mathbb{N}##, rather than for all ##i \in \{1,2, \dots , m \}##. How do I modify it to get it correct?
It is correct and you've proven it for all ##n \in \mathbb{N}##. However, the question is poorly worded. It should have been ##\sigma^i (a_k) = a_{k+i~\operatorname{mod}m}## since ##\sigma(a_m)=a_1## and not ##a_{m+1}##. Hence the induction basis is already wrong without the modulo on the index.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
It is correct and you've proven it for all ##n \in \mathbb{N}##. However, the question is poorly worded. It should have been ##\sigma^i (a_k) = a_{k+i~\operatorname{mod}m}## since ##\sigma(a_m)=a_1## and not ##a_{m+1}##. Hence the induction basis is already wrong without the modulo on the index.
I see what you mean. But I'm still a little confused. Why was my induction where ##i \in \mathbb{N}## valid if it is states that ##i \in \{1,2, \dots , m \}##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I see what you mean. But I'm still a little confused. Why was my induction where ##i \in \mathbb{N}## valid if it is states that ##i \in \{1,2, \dots , m \}##?
If it's true for all natural numbers, then it's true for a few of them. The restriction to ##1 \leq i \leq m## comes into play as we don't have other indices. The modulo solves this problem. There is simply no ##a_{m+1}## in our cycle, so ##a_{k+i}## doesn't make sense if it exceeds ##m##. To place a modulo ##m## behind the index is the shortest way of saying ##\in \{\,1,\ldots ,m\,\}##. It's simply a sloppiness by whoever has written the text. Your induction is equally wrong without the modulo, as in case ##i=1## and ##k=m## we have ##\sigma^1(a_m) \neq a_{m+1}##. And with the modulo, we only need the numbers up to ##m##.

fresh_42 said:
If it's true for all natural numbers, then it's true for a few of them. The restriction to ##1 \leq i \leq m## comes into play as we don't have other indices. The modulo solves this problem. There is simply no ##a_{m+1}## in our cycle, so ##a_{k+i}## doesn't make sense if it exceeds ##m##. To place a modulo ##m## behind the index is the shortest way of saying ##\in \{\,1,\ldots ,m\,\}##. It's simply a sloppiness by whoever has written the text. Your induction is equally wrong without the modulo, as in case ##i=1## and ##k=m## we have ##\sigma^1(a_m) \neq a_{m+1}##. And with the modulo, we only need the numbers up to ##m##.
So would a less sloppy problem statement be

Prove that if ##\sigma## is the m-cycle ##(a_1 ~a_2~ \dots ~ a_m)##, then for all ##i \in \mathbb{N}##, ##\sigma^i (a_{k \mod m}) = a_{k+i \mod m}##. Deduce that ##\sigma^m (a_{k \mod m}) = a_{k \mod m}## and so ##| \sigma | = m##.

Mr Davis 97 said:
So would a less sloppy problem statement be

Prove that if ##\sigma## is the m-cycle ##(a_1 ~a_2~ \dots ~ a_m)##, then for all ##i \in \mathbb{N}##, ##\sigma^i (a_{k \mod m}) = a_{k+i \mod m}##. Deduce that ##\sigma^m (a_{k \mod m}) = a_{k \mod m}## and so ##| \sigma | = m##.
Yes and no. Yes, because the index problem is solved, no because there is no need for the modulo in the notation as a variable of ##\sigma## since ##\sigma## is only defined modulo ##m##. To write ##\sigma^m (a_{k \mod m})## creates unnecessary confusion. But for the results, we have to make sure that the formula is defined! So the index of the result has to be wrapped around. For ##a_k## in the role of a variable, it has already been done the moment you wrote ##\sigma=(a_1,\ldots,a_m)##.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
Yes and no. Yes, because the index problem is solved, no because there is no need for the modulo in the notation as a variable of ##\sigma## since ##\sigma## is only defined modulo ##m##. To write ##\sigma^m (a_{k \mod m})## creates unnecessary confusion. But for the results, we have to make sure that the formula is defined! So the index of the result has to be wrapped around. For ##a_k## in the role of a variable, it has already been done the moment you wrote ##\sigma=(a_1,\ldots,a_m)##.
I think this is the last thing. What is the difference between the following two wordings of the question:

1) Prove that if ##\sigma## is the m-cycle ##(a_1 ~a_2~ \dots ~ a_m)##, then for all ##i \in \{1,2, \dots , m \}##, ##\sigma^i (a_k) = a_{k+i}##, where ##k+i## is replaced by its least positive residue mod m.

2) Prove that if ##\sigma## is the m-cycle ##(a_1 ~a_2~ \dots ~ a_m)##, then for all ##i \in \mathbb{N}##, ##\sigma^i (a_k) = a_{k+i}##, where ##k+i## is replaced by its least positive residue mod m.

Formally: the second implies the first; within the context: none. As ##\sigma^m=1##, with this information the two are equivalent, because all other exponents, even the negative ones, can be reduced to the case ##1\leq i \leq m##.

fresh_42 said:
Formally: the second implies the first; within the context: none. As ##\sigma^m=1##, with this information the two are equivalent, because all other exponents, even the negative ones, can be reduced to the case ##1\leq i \leq m##.
So if we were given problem statement 1), would the best thing be to prove 2) using induction and say clearly this implies 1 is true?

I ask this because it doesn't seem like you could do induction on ##i## formally if the variable isn't defined for all natural numbers.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I ask this because it doesn't seem like you could do induction on ##i## formally if the variable isn't defined for all natural numbers.
But you did the induction on the exponent which is defined for all numbers!

fresh_42 said:
But you did the induction on the exponent which is defined for all numbers!
Doesn't the original statement say that ##i## only varies from 1 to m?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Doesn't the original statement say that ##i## only varies from 1 to m?
O.k. in this case, it isn't an induction, but an "and so on". Or you use the induction and show it for all ##n##. The "and so on" case goes with dots: Let ##i \in \{\,1,\ldots ,m\,\}##, then
$$
\sigma^i(a_k)=\underbrace{\sigma(\sigma(\sigma(\ldots (\sigma}_{i \text{ times }}(a_k)\ldots )= \underbrace{\sigma(\sigma(\sigma(\ldots (\sigma}_{i-1 \text{ times }}(a_{k+1})\ldots )= \ldots = \underbrace{(\sigma)}_{1 \text{ times }}(a_{k+i-1})=a_{k+i}
$$
but the induction is nicer and covers the ##i## stated as it covers all ##n \in \mathbb{N}_0##.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is the order of a cycle?

The order of a cycle is the number of elements in the cycle. It is also known as the length of the cycle.

2. How is the order of a cycle determined?

The order of a cycle is determined by counting the number of elements in the cycle. Each element in the cycle is counted only once, even if it appears multiple times.

3. Why is the order of a cycle important?

The order of a cycle is important because it helps us understand the structure and behavior of a group or mathematical object. It also helps us determine the properties and characteristics of the cycle.

4. How is the order of a cycle related to the length of the cycle?

The order of a cycle is the same as the length of the cycle. This is because the order/length is determined by the number of elements in the cycle, and these two terms are used interchangeably in mathematics.

5. Can the order of a cycle be greater than the length of the cycle?

No, the order of a cycle cannot be greater than the length of the cycle. This is because the order is determined by the number of elements in the cycle, and it is not possible for there to be more elements in the cycle than its length.