1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that Energy-momentum relation is invariant

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] is moving in the [itex]+x[/itex]-direction with speed [itex]u[/itex] and has momentum [itex]p[/itex] and energy [itex]E[/itex] in the frame [itex]S[/itex].

(a) If [itex]S'[/itex] is moving at speed [itex]v[/itex], find the momentum [itex]p'[/itex] and energy [itex]E'[/itex] in the [itex]S'[/itex] frame.
    (b) Note that [itex]E' \neq E[/itex] and [itex]p' \neq p[/itex], but show that [itex](E')^2-(p')^2c^2=E^2-p^2c^2[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]E=p^2c^2+m^2c^4[/itex]
    [itex]E'=\gamma mc^2=\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(u')^2}{c^2}}}[/itex]
    [itex]p'=\gamma mu'=\frac{mu'}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(u')^2}{c^2}}}[/itex]
    [itex]u'=\frac{u-v}{1-\frac{uv}{c^2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My prof says we need to use (a) to derive (b). It seems like it'd be easier a different way, but whatever. My strategy has been to show that [itex](E')^2-(p')^2c^2=m^2c^4[/itex], which would complete the derivation.

I tried playing around with some algebra and got [itex](E')^2=\frac{m^2c^4(c^2-uv)^2}{(c^2-u^2)(c^2-v^2)}[/itex] and [itex](p')^2=\frac{m^2(u-v)^2}{(1-\frac{uv}{c^2})^2(c^2-u^2)(c^2-v^2)}[/itex]

I got a little overwhelmed with the algebra at this point. I'd like to know if this is right so far, at least, before trying anything else.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

For part (a), you should be able to show that
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    E' &= \gamma(E - \beta pc) \\
    p'c &= \gamma(pc - \beta E)
    \end{eqnarray*} where ##\beta = v/c## and ##\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-\beta^2}##.

Your expression for ##E'^2## looks okay. Divide both the numerator and denominator by ##c^4## and take the square root. You should be able to show the first equation above. Just make sure you keep track of the three ##\gamma##'s you have in this problem.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    Thanks very much for the help. It worked like a charm - the last part of the derivation that I ended up using was pretty neat. My only worry is that my prof will wonder how I thought to express ##E'## and ##cp'## in that way.

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Look up the Lorentz transformation. :smile: You might already be familiar with it applied to x and t. It applies to all four-vectors.

6. Oct 6, 2014 #5
    Interesting - we've covered the Lorentz transformation, but not four-vectors. My class gives a brief overview of SR, but maybe I'll see it in future.

I have another question that I'm editing into the OP now - It's somewhat related, but I didn't want to flood the section with threads.

EDIT: Woops, guess it's been too long to edit. See you in the next thread XD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted