1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that general operator equations are hermitian

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a)For a general operator A, show that and i(A-A+) are hermitian?

b) If operators A and B are hermitian, show that the operator (A+B)^n is Hermitian.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part I did,

(A+A+)+=(A++A)=(A+A+)

i(A-A+)=[i(A-A+)]+=(iA)+-(iA+)+)=i(A-A+)

The second part I used binomial expansion (induction) but I was told they do not commute so this cannot be done?

Is my answer to the first part correct and what route should I take for the second? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2
    First part looks about right.

For the second part, do you really need to multiply things out? After all, if A and B are Hermitian then A+B is also Hermitian...

4. Oct 16, 2012 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problems seems to have no connection with <Advanced Physics> and neither with mathematics, since it's not mathematically (i.e. in agreement with mathematics) formulated and not even semantically.

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For example, the mathematical problem for point a) should have been

"Let A be a densly defined linear operator on a complex separable Hilbert space [itex] \mathcal{H}[/itex].

Prove that if [itex] D(A)\cap D\left(A^{\dagger}\right) [/itex] is dense everywhere in [itex] \mathcal{H} [/itex],

then the operator [itex] i\left(A-A^{\dagger}\right) [/itex] is symmetric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook