Diff Eq Solution for E&M Example: Solving y'' and z'' with Author's Method

• Thread starter hitmeoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the conversation discusses a system of differential equations in an E&M example from a book. The author provides a solution consisting of equations for y(t) and z(t), and suggests solving the differential equations to obtain these functions. The person speaking is unsure of the correct approach, but it is suggested to solve the differential equations and use substitution to find the solutions for y(t) and z(t).
hitmeoff

Homework Statement

This is part of a solution to a E&M example from a book. I am in the middle of following the solution and I come across this system of diff eq's:[itex]y''=\omega z'[/itex]
[itex]z''=\omega (\frac{E}{B}-y')[/itex]

Homework Equations

Solution according to author is:

[itex]y(t)=C_{1}\cos (\omega t)+C_{2}\sin (\omega t)+(\frac{E}{B})t+C_{3}[/itex]
[itex]z(t)=C_{2}\cos (\omega t)-C_{1}\sin (\omega t)+C_{4}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the author just says that this is easily solvable by differentiating the first and using the second to eliminate z''. Now I tried that, but correct me if I am wrong, this works out to :

[itex]z''=\frac{y'''}{\omega}[/itex]
[itex]y'''+\omega^{2}y''-\omega^{2}\frac{E}{B}=0[/itex]

So now do I solve this diff eq, to get y(t) and then use substitution to solve for z(t)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, that looks like the right strategy.

1. What is the Author's Method for solving differential equations in electromagnetism?

The Author's Method is a mathematical approach for solving differential equations that arise in the study of electromagnetism. It involves breaking down the equations into simpler forms, applying appropriate boundary conditions, and using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and integration to find a solution.

2. How does the Author's Method differ from other methods of solving differential equations?

The Author's Method is specifically designed for solving differential equations that arise in electromagnetism, making it more applicable and efficient for these types of problems. It also incorporates physical principles and boundary conditions to ensure a more accurate solution.

3. Can the Author's Method be used for more complex E&M problems?

Yes, the Author's Method can be applied to more complex E&M problems. It is a versatile approach that can handle a wide range of differential equations, including those with multiple variables and boundary conditions.

4. Are there any limitations to the Author's Method?

Like any mathematical method, the Author's Method has its limitations. It may not be suitable for certain types of differential equations, such as those with discontinuities or singularities. It also relies on certain assumptions and approximations, which may affect the accuracy of the solution.

5. What are the benefits of using the Author's Method for E&M problems?

The Author's Method offers several benefits for solving E&M problems. It allows for a systematic approach to solving complex equations, incorporating physical principles and boundary conditions for a more accurate solution. It also provides a clear and logical framework for solving problems, making it easier to understand and apply.