1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that the Closure of a Connected set

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    Showing that the Closure of a Connected set......

Show that the Closure of a Connected set is connected.

Attempt: Assume that the closure of a conncted set S is disconnected.

==> S = U [itex]\cup[/itex] V is a disconnection of S. (bold for closure)

==> (S[itex]\cap[/itex]U) [itex]\cup[/itex] (S[itex]\cap[/itex]V) is a disconnection of S.

This is where I'm stuck, I know some how I'm suppose to get a contradiction in that the closure of this set is actually connected. But I can't see how to form it.

In the solutions they make use of (S[itex]\cap[/itex]U) or (S[itex]\cap[/itex]V) being empty, but I still wasn't able to follow that either.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Showing that the Closure of a Connected set......

A little more detail please- what do you mean by a "disconnection of S"?

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3

oh, by the definition of connectedness or disconnectedness I guess since we don't define connectedness per say. So I mean the union of two non-empty subsets in which neither intersects the closure of the other one.

5. Jun 10, 2012 #4

Ok, so you have that [itex]\overline{S}=U\cup V [/itex], which is good. But since [itex]S\subset\overline{S}[/itex] and [itex]S[/itex] is connected, you must have that either [itex]S\subset U[/itex] or [itex]S\subset V[/itex] since otherwise [itex]S[/itex] would be disconnected. Let's assume without loss of generality that [itex]S\subset U[/itex].

Then in fact, [itex]S\cap V=∅[/itex] since [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] are disjoint (where your textbook's hint comes in). Moreover, we must have [itex]S\subset V^C[/itex]. Since the closure operator respects subsets and [itex]V^C[/itex] is closed (as [itex]V[/itex] is open), we can say some pretty interesting things about [itex]\overline{S}[/itex]... Remember that by assumption, [itex]\overline{S}=U\cup V [/itex].

Hope I haven't given too much away :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook