Showing that the directional derivatives exist but f is not continuous

In summary: That was the whole point of the problem, to show that the limit of f as you approach (0,0) along a particular direction depends on the direction. In the example you gave, you were approaching (0,0) along the axis itself, so the limit was 0. But if you approach (0,0) from above, say from along y = x2, the limit is 1.In summary, the function f:R^2→R has a discontinuity at (0,0) and all directional derivatives about (0,0) exist. However, the value of the limit for the directional derivative depends on the direction of approach, with a value of 0 for approach along the x-axis
Hernaner28

Homework Statement

It says:

[tex] \displaystyle f:{{\mathbb{R}}^{2}}\to \mathbb{R}[/tex]

[tex] \displaystyle f\left( x,y \right)=\left\{ \begin{align}
& 1\text{ if 0<y<}{{\text{x}}^{2}} \\
& 0\text{ in other cases} \\
\end{align} \right.[/tex]

Show that all the directional derivatives about (0,0) exist but f is not continuous in (0,0).

Homework Equations

Directional derivative:
[tex] \displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial v}\left( 0,0 \right)=\underset{h\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{f\left( \left( 0,0 \right)+\left( ha,hb \right) \right)-f\left( 0,0 \right)}{h}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I write the equation for the directionar derivative respect to a generic v=(a,b) about the origin:

[tex] \displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial v}\left( 0,0 \right)=\underset{h\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{f\left( \left( 0,0 \right)+\left( ha,hb \right) \right)-f\left( 0,0 \right)}{h}[/tex]

That is:

[tex] \displaystyle =\underset{h\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{f\left( ha,hb \right)}{h}[/tex]

I should arrive that the limit does not depend on v=(a,b). But I'm stuck here. Which is the value of [tex] \displaystyle f\left( ha,hb \right)[/tex] 1 or 0? It clearly depends on the vector v. If I get close to the origin by the y-axis then [tex] \displaystyle f\left( 0,hb \right)=0[/tex].

Thanks!

PD: I hope I'm not breaking the rules. I've received several infractions which I'm not going to discuss here. It's not my intention.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hernaner28 said:

Homework Statement

It says:

[tex] \displaystyle f:{{\mathbb{R}}^{2}}\to \mathbb{R}[/tex]

[tex] \displaystyle f\left( x,y \right)=\left\{ \begin{align}
& 1\text{ if 0<y<}{{\text{x}}^{2}} \\
& 0\text{ in other cases} \\
\end{align} \right.[/tex]

Show that all the directional derivatives about (0,0) exist but f is not continuous in (0,0).

Homework Equations

Directional derivative:

The Attempt at a Solution

I write the equation for the directionar derivative respect to a generic v=(a,b) about the origin:

That is:

[tex] \displaystyle =\underset{h\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{f\left( ha,hb \right)}{h}[/tex]

I should arrive that the limit does not depend on v=(a,b). But I'm stuck here. Which is the value of [tex] \displaystyle f\left( ha,hb \right)[/tex] 1 or 0? It clearly depends on the vector v. If I get close to the origin by the y-axis then [tex] \displaystyle f\left( 0,hb \right)=0[/tex].

Thanks!

PD: I hope I'm not breaking the rules. I've received several infractions which I'm not going to discuss here. It's not my intention.

Are you sure you have posted the exact wording of the problem? The function isn't continuous at (0, 0). In fact it's discontinuous all along the parabola y = x2 in the x-y plane.

Yes, I can imagine what the graph looks like and its discontinuity is pretty obvious but what I'm asked to show is that the directional derivatives do exist around the origin but the function is still discontinuous.

Thanks Mark!

I don't see how the directional derivative in the direction of -j, at (0, 0), could exist.

Look at the difference quotient using these values:

v = (0, -1), h = .1
v = (0, -1), h = .01
v = (0, -1), h = .001
and so on...

I think you're right, that's why I made this thdread.

The directional derivative respecto to v=(0,-1) about (0,0) is:

[tex] \displaystyle \underset{h\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{f\left( 0,-h \right)}{h}=\underset{h\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{1}{h}[/tex]

which is infinite, isn't it?

Thanks!

PD: I am looking at the wording of the problem right now and it says that. Maybe just a mistake from the professors.

Sorry, that's wrong. The limit is zero in all directions because f(0,-h)=0. The numerator is zero, then the limit is zero.

You should be able to prove that given (a,b), if h is small enough, f(ha,hb) will equal 0.

Yes, I see. Do I have to do any formal proof with deltas and epsilon? Or can I just write it directly?

Thanks vela!

Depends on what the grader wants. You'd know better than us.

vela said:
You should be able to prove that given (a,b), if h is small enough, f(ha,hb) will equal 0.
What about my example, where (a, b) = (0, -1). No matter how small h is (but is still positive), f(ha, hb) = 1. Is there a mistake in my thinking here?

f(x,y) = 0 when y≤0. It's only equal to 1 between the x-axis and the parabola y=x2.

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It measures how much the function changes when moving along a certain direction from a given point.

How do you show that the directional derivatives exist?

To show that the directional derivatives exist, we need to calculate the partial derivatives in the given direction and check if they are continuous at the given point. If they are continuous, then the directional derivatives exist.

What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A function is continuous if its values do not change abruptly or have any breaks. This means that as the input values change, the output values change smoothly without any sudden jumps or interruptions.

How can a function have directional derivatives but not be continuous?

A function can have directional derivatives but not be continuous if the partial derivatives in the given direction are continuous, but the function itself is not continuous at the given point. This can happen if the function has a sharp point or a discontinuity at that point.

Why is it important to study functions with existing directional derivatives but not continuous?

Studying functions with existing directional derivatives but not continuous can help us understand the behavior of functions in specific directions and identify points of discontinuity. It also allows us to analyze the behavior of functions in different directions and make predictions about their behavior in other directions.