1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing the GLB of the union is the same as the min of the GLBs

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A and B be non-empty bounded sets of real numbers.
    Show the infimum of A union B is equal to the min{infA,infB}

2. Relevant equations
    If a set is bounded below, a set called S for example, there exists a number N such that x≥N for all x in S

And if S is bounded below, then there exists a number α such that α is a lower bound of S and there is no number greater than it that is a lower bound.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let A and B be non-empty bounded sets of real numbers.

Show that the inf(AB) = min{infA,infB}

Since A and B are subets of AB, then the set, A or B, that has the smallest greatest upper bound is clearly the one that is the the result of the minimum function.

Since A union B is the entirety of both sets, the greatest upper bound will be the one from the set that contains the smallest value.

I am thinking that I need to break it up into cases when infA ≤ infB and infA > infB and some how link that to the inf(A union B).

If infA ≤ infB
    Then A has the smallest greatest upper bound. When you find the infimum of A union B, it will have to be A because A is a subset of A union B.

If infA = infB then the set A=B, then A union B = A = B

If infA > infB, then use the same argument but replace A with B and vice versa.

Showing this properly is the issue I am running into. Any tips on which direction I should go in proving this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

let d = min{inf(A),inf(B)}.

step 1 should involve showing that d is "a" lower bound for AUB. so given x in AUB, you need to show that d ≤ x. i would "use cases" like so:

1) if inf(A) < inf(B), then for any b in B, inf(A) < b, and for any a in A, inf(A) ≤ a (since inf(A) is a lower bound for A). now if x is in AUB, either:

a) x is in B
    b) x is not in B, so x is in A. draw appropriate conclusions accordingly.

2) otherwise, inf(B) ≤ inf(A) and...this should be similar to (1) above.

step 2 should involve you choosing some y such that d < y, and y is a lower bound for AUB. derive a contradiction (hint: show y cannot be less than both inf(A) and inf(B)).

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3
    Sorry for the late response. Thank you for the help! I think I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook