Sign conventions in general relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of sign conventions in general relativity books, specifically the definitions of Riemann tensor, Ricci tensor, and signs of stress-energy tensor and Einstein field equations. It is mentioned that there is a table in Misner, Thorne, Wheeler that shows the different conventions, and someone provides a link to it. There is also a discussion about the dependence of Christoffel symbols on the sign of the metric and the resulting sign differences in the Einstein tensor and stress-energy tensor.
Nabigh R
Hi guys... I was wondering if anyone have a sort of a summary of sign conventions in general relativity books. By convention I mean the definition of Riemann tensor, Ricci tensor and signs of stress-energy tensor and signs of einstein field equations for a given sign of metric tensor... I heard that there is a table that shows something like that in Misner, Thorne, Wheeler... can somebody please upload it as I don't have access to that book.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks ultrafast... I have already seen those and in fact it's because of the latter link only I posted this question... it's really hard to keep track of changes to the field equations with different conventions... I mean in one, the constant on right hand side is negative, other positive, even the form of stress-energy tensor of perfect fluid say, depends on sign convention and so forth. So I was wondering if anyone have a summary of how everything looks like with different conventions.

Someone had scanned in this famous chart:

http://itp.epfl.ch/webdav/site/itp/users/166340/public/Misner%28SignConvention%29.pdf

which is the origin of part of that wikipedia entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot robphy. That really helps.

As an aside to the original question: the Christoffel symbols doesn't depend on the sign of metric, right?
What about other tensors found using them?

Nabigh R said:
As an aside to the original question: the Christoffel symbols doesn't depend on the sign of metric, right?
What about other tensors found using them?

For example, the Riemann tensor is defined in terms of them, but is anti-symmetric in its last two indeces and as such defining the Ricci-tensor in terms of contraction over the 1st and 3rd Vs 1st and 4th indeces yields a conventional sign difference relating the Einstein tensor to the stress-energy tensor. This is why you sometimes see a minus sign in front of the stress-energy tensor side even though its usually a plus.

waitedavid137 said:
For example, the Riemann tensor is defined in terms of them, but is anti-symmetric in its last two indeces and as such defining the Ricci-tensor in terms of contraction over the 1st and 3rd Vs 1st and 4th indeces yields a conventional sign difference relating the Einstein tensor to the stress-energy tensor. This is why you sometimes see a minus sign in front of the stress-energy tensor side even though its usually a plus.

Yeah David, I think even MAXIMA defines Ricci tensor in terms of contraction over 1st and 4th indices since it defines the Riemann tensor as in Weinberg (1972), but the components of Ricci tensor have opposite signs to the ones given by Weinberg.

1. What are sign conventions in general relativity?

Sign conventions in general relativity refer to the choices made regarding the signs of various quantities in the equations that describe the theory. These choices are used to simplify the equations and make them easier to work with, but they do not affect the physical predictions of the theory.

2. Why are there different sign conventions in general relativity?

Different sign conventions are used because there are several ways to write the equations of general relativity, and different researchers may prefer one convention over another. Additionally, different fields of study may use different sign conventions, leading to confusion and the need for clarification.

3. What is the most common sign convention used in general relativity?

The most common sign convention used in general relativity is the "mostly plus" convention, also known as the "Landau-Lifshitz" convention. In this convention, the metric signature is (+, -, -, -), meaning that the time-time component of the metric is positive and the space-space components are negative.

4. How do sign conventions affect the predictions of general relativity?

Sign conventions do not affect the physical predictions of general relativity. The equations may look different depending on the convention used, but the predictions for things like gravitational waves, black holes, and the bending of light will be the same regardless of the sign convention.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using different sign conventions in general relativity?

One drawback of using different sign conventions is the potential for confusion and miscommunication between researchers. It is important for researchers to clearly specify which sign convention they are using in their work to avoid any misunderstandings. Additionally, using different sign conventions may make it more difficult to compare and combine results from different studies.