Signal Processing mathematics books ?(laplace, fourier )

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for math books on topics such as Fourier and Laplace transforms, convolution, and transfer functions. The Schaums guides and The elements of statistical learning are suggested as resources for understanding convolution, with the former being more straightforward and the latter including a discussion on convolution's impact on data. The topic is also referred to as Linear System Theory and is often covered in differential equations courses. Some recommended books include the Schaum's DSP book and the Schaum's Fourier book.
shuby
Hello,
Can you suggest me some good Math books about Fourier laplace transforms, convolution, transfert functions and stuff ?

Because all I have right now is some crapy math notes and an electricity book that doesn't mention anything about math theory.

I tried google but I really don't know what kind of math is that.

Thanks !

Engineering news on Phys.org
if you're getting a Schaum outline, and you want signal processing, then i think it is better to get the outline about signal processing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070306419/?tag=pfamazon01-20 .

in the olden days we called this "Linear System Theory".

Last edited by a moderator:
rbj said:
in the olden days we called this "Linear System Theory".
I graduated all of last year and the courses I took were called Linear Systems I and II. I think mathematicians call it something else, but it usually first shows up in differential equations.

The textbook for one of my courses was the Schuam's DSP book, so I can also rec that one. I've also got the Schaum's Fourier book, but haven't found it to be that useful.

Thank you that's very helpful !

1. What is the purpose of studying signal processing mathematics books?

Signal processing mathematics books provide a theoretical foundation for understanding and analyzing signals, which are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. These books cover topics such as Laplace and Fourier transforms, which are essential tools for processing and manipulating signals.

2. What is the difference between Laplace and Fourier transforms?

The Laplace transform is used to analyze signals in the time domain, while the Fourier transform is used to analyze signals in the frequency domain. The Laplace transform is more general and can be used to analyze signals with exponential, sinusoidal, and other types of functions. On the other hand, the Fourier transform is specifically used for analyzing signals with periodic functions.

3. How are Laplace and Fourier transforms related?

The Laplace transform is a generalization of the Fourier transform, where the Fourier transform is a special case when the Laplace transform variable is purely imaginary. In other words, the Fourier transform can be obtained from the Laplace transform by setting the Laplace variable s to be equal to jω, where ω represents the frequency.

4. What are the practical applications of Laplace and Fourier transforms?

Laplace and Fourier transforms have various practical applications in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and communication systems. These transforms are used to analyze and manipulate signals in order to improve the quality and efficiency of various systems, such as audio and video processing, image processing, and data compression.

5. Do I need a strong mathematical background to understand signal processing mathematics books?

While a strong mathematical background can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced mathematics to understand signal processing mathematics books. These books often provide explanations and examples to help beginners grasp the concepts, and there are also many online resources available for further clarification. However, a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is recommended for a better understanding of these topics.