1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Similar Matrices & Geometric Multiplicity

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if two matrices are similar then they have the same eigenvalues with the same algebraic and geometric multiplicity.

2. Relevant equations
    Matrices A,B are similar if A = C[tex]\breve{}[/tex]BC for some invertible C (and C inverse is denoted C[tex]\breve{}[/tex] because I tried for a long time to figure out how to get an inverse sign in latex but couldn't figure it out...).

3. The attempt at a solution
    To show that two similar matrices have the same eigenvalues with the same geometric multiplicities, I need to show that their characteristic polynomials are the same.
    Let A,B be similar matrices. Then,
    A = C(inverse)BC
    A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I = C[tex]\breve{}[/tex]BC - [tex]\lambda[/tex]I
    A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I = C[tex]\breve{}[/tex]BC - [tex]\lambda[/tex]C[tex]\breve{}[/tex]C since C[tex]\breve{}[/tex]C=I
    A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I = C[tex]\breve{}[/tex][B-[tex]\lambda[/tex]]C
    det(A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I) = det(C[tex]\breve{}[/tex][B-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I]C)
    det(A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I) = det(C[tex]\breve{}[/tex]det(B-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)det(C)
    det(A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I) = det(C[tex]\breve{}[/tex])det(C)det(B-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)
    Therefore, det(A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I) = det(B-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)
    So, A, B have the same characteristic polynomials. This implies that they have the same eigenvalues with the same algebraic multiplicity. However, I do not think that this implies that they have the same geometric multiplicity because it doesn't same anything about the dimension of the eigenspace. Does it? Any suggestions on how I should try to show that the geometric multiplicity is the same?

So does anyone have any advice? I spent a while to get the first part, I just could use a nudge in the right direction for the next part... Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, algebraic multiplicity doesn't tell you anything about geometric multiplicity. The geometric multiplicity is the number of linearly independent eigenvectors corresponding to a given eigenvalue lambda. Hint: can you show if A=C^(-1)BC and x is an eigenvector of A, then Cx is an eigenvector of B with the same eigenvalue?

4. Feb 27, 2010 #3

So now that I've proven that A, B have same eigenvalues [tex]\lambda[/tex]1-[tex]\lambda[/tex]n and that they appear the same amount of times, consider the eigenvectors for those eigenvalues. As you said, let x be an eigenvector of A. Need to show that Cx is an eigenvector of B with the same eigenvalue...

If x is an eigenvector of A, then:
    Ax = [tex]\lambda[/tex]x where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the corresponding eigenvalue.

Since A=C^(-1)BC, Ax=C^(-1)BCx=[tex]\lambda[/tex]x
    Then, CAx=BCx=C[tex]\lambda[/tex]x

So, BCx = Cx[tex]\lambda[/tex]

Shows that Cx is an eigenvector of B with the same eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex].

So since if x is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex] then Cx is an eigenvector of A with the same eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex] then the geometric multiplicities are the same? The same eigenvalue will correspond to a similar eigenvector and eigenspace so the geometric multiplicity will be the same?

5. Feb 27, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Basically. The geometric multiplicity is the dimension of the eigenspace of lambda. You've shown C maps the eigenspace of A to the eigenspace of B. C^(-1) does the reverse. C is a nonsingular matrix. That shows the dimensions are the same, right?

6. Feb 27, 2010 #5
    Yes, I understand now. Thank you for your help. I figured out the first part and just needed that little hint to help me with the rest!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook