1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple analysis continuity problem

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If f is a real function which is continuous at a element R and if f(a)<M for some M element of R, prove that there is an open interval I containing a such that f(x)<M for all x element of I.

2. Relevant equations
    Extreme value theorem, intermediate value theorem, definition of continuity

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea how to solve this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2
    Draw out the scenario. You have a continuous function with some point a on the x-axis, f(a) on the y-axis. Draw a horizontal line through the point f(a). We can think of M as a horizontal line somewhere above f(a). Let D be the distance between f(a) and M. If we can make f(x) within D of f(a), then M will be a bound for f(x) as well. But this is guaranteed by the continuity of f (epsilon-delta definition).

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the explanation. The problem is clearer now to me. What I still do not get is how the epsilon delta definition guarantees it. ?? Sorry if I can't follow through... I'm new to this.

5. Oct 6, 2009 #4
    Oh I think I got it. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook