Simple: Batteries and flow of charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of charges flowing inside a battery and the direction in which they flow when connected to a circuit. The + terminal of a battery has a higher electric potential, causing charges to flow from the place with higher EP to the place with lower EP. The question raised is which type of charges, positive or negative, would flow in the circuit.
AnXioZ
Hello everyone.
I have a very simple problem here but I'm confused from the different concepts about the way charges or electrons flow inside the battery.

Here's the question
"Batteries always have two terminals, labeled + and -. The + terminal has the higher electric potential. If you connected the terminals to a circuit, which way would positive charges flow in the circuit? What about negative charges?"

Here's what my thoughts are
Since we have a terminal with higher electric potential this means that charges will flow from the place with higher EP to the place with lower EP. But which charges would that be?

I'm stumped...

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump Bump Bump

AnXioZ said:
Hello everyone.
I have a very simple problem here but I'm confused from the different concepts about the way charges or electrons flow inside the battery.

Here's the question
"Batteries always have two terminals, labeled + and -. The + terminal has the higher electric potential. If you connected the terminals to a circuit, which way would positive charges flow in the circuit? What about negative charges?"

Here's what my thoughts are
Since we have a terminal with higher electric potential this means that charges will flow from the place with higher EP to the place with lower EP. But which charges would that be?

I'm stumped...

Give this a read:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elecur.html#c3

CS

What is a battery and how does it work?

A battery is a portable power source that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It is made up of two electrodes (a positive and a negative) and an electrolyte solution that allows for the flow of charge between the electrodes. When a circuit is connected, the chemical reactions within the battery create a flow of electrons, generating electrical energy.

What are the different types of batteries?

There are several types of batteries, including alkaline, lithium-ion, lead-acid, and nickel-cadmium. Alkaline batteries are commonly used in household devices, while lithium-ion batteries are commonly used in electronics like smartphones and laptops. Lead-acid batteries are used in vehicles, and nickel-cadmium batteries are commonly used in power tools and other high-drain devices.

How do batteries store and release energy?

Batteries store energy in the form of chemical potential energy. When a circuit is connected, the chemical reactions within the battery release the stored energy in the form of electrical energy. When the battery is not in use, the chemical reactions slow down, and the energy is stored until it is needed again.

What is the difference between series and parallel connections of batteries?

In a series connection, batteries are connected end-to-end, with the positive terminal of one battery connected to the negative terminal of the next battery. This increases the voltage of the overall circuit. In a parallel connection, batteries are connected side-by-side, with all positive terminals connected and all negative terminals connected. This increases the overall current capacity of the circuit.

Can batteries be recycled?

Yes, batteries can and should be recycled. Batteries contain toxic chemicals and heavy metals that can harm the environment if not disposed of properly. Many stores and recycling centers offer battery recycling programs, and some batteries can be reused or refurbished for other purposes.