Simple Calculus question but I don't understand

• Thread starter name_ask17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of a piecewise function, f(x), where the function is defined differently for x values less than or equal to 2 and x values greater than 2. The individual has attempted to find f'(2) by taking the derivative of the top equation, but got an answer of 10 instead of the expected answer of undefined. After a discussion on the definition of derivative and the limit as h approaches 0, it is determined that f'(2) is undefined due to the different results obtained when h is positive and negative, making the function discontinuous at x=2.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

f(x)= {x^3 - 2x, x<=2
x + 2, x> 2

find f'(2)

Homework Equations

Ok, i tried by taking the derivative of the top equation, since it includes 2, but I got the answer to be 10.

The Attempt at a Solution

By book says the answer is undefined, but I don't understand why. Thsi is under "quick review" so I'm thinking I'm making it a lot harder than it should be. Am I missing something? Why is it undefined? I keep getting 10.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the definition of derivative. f'(2) is the limit as h->0 (f(2+h)-f(2))/h. If h is negative and approaching zero, then sure, you get 10. But what about if h is positive and approaching zero?

ohh. it would equal 1, so 10 doesn't equal 1 so it would be undefined.

name_ask17 said:
ohh. it would equal 1, so 10 doesn't equal 1 so it would be undefined.

That's it.

Thanks!

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the analysis of functions and their rates of change, and is essential for understanding many scientific and engineering principles.

2. What are the basic concepts of calculus?

The basic concepts of calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function as it approaches a certain value. Derivatives represent the instantaneous rate of change of a function. Integrals are used to find the area under a curve, and can also be thought of as the reverse of differentiation.

3. How is calculus used in science?

Calculus is used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, and to make predictions about their behavior. For example, calculus is used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, determine the optimal shape of a bridge, and predict the growth of a population.

4. What are some common applications of calculus?

Some common applications of calculus include optimization, motion and trajectory analysis, and prediction of growth and decay. It is also used in fields such as statistics, biology, and finance to analyze data and make predictions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. Practice solving problems and working through examples, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also helpful to visualize problems and understand the real-world applications of calculus. There are also many online resources and textbooks available for further study.