1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple characterisitic equation clarification

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

use characteristic equation to solve y(4)-y=0

2. Relevant equations

characteristic equation would be r4-1=0

3. The attempt at a solution

my question is related to the number of roots. with r^4 that generally means there will be 4 roots?
    but theres only 3? 1,0,-1.... my calculator doesnt solve polynomials higher then third order so im just looking for clarification on this.

would there be 4 roots and just one of them is repeated? so then the solution would be something like y(x)=c1er1x+c2er2x+(c3+c4x)er3x ...

or are there just 3 roots and its y(x)=c1e^r1x + c2e^r2x + c3e^r3x ??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(r^4-1)=(r^2-1)*(r^2+1)=0. -1 and 1 are roots of (r^2-1). 0 isn't a root at all. What are the roots of (r^2+1)?

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    complex. of course. tunnel vision on my behalf.

y(x)= c1e^r1x + c2e^r2x + e^ax(c1cosbx+c2sinbx)

where r1 and r2 are real roots 1 and -1 and c3 and c4 are complex conjugate roots i and -i ??

5. Oct 6, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start here. A general solution is c1*e^(x)+c2*e^(-x)+c3*e^(ix)+c4*e^(-ix). Since those are the four roots. Where c1, c2, c3 and c4 might all be complex. Now think about how to get a real solution out of that.

6. Oct 6, 2011 #5
    i dont get it?

if the characteristic equation has unrepeated pair of complex comjugate roots a+-bi then corresponding part of general solution is eax(c1cosbx+c2sinbx)

so for the two roots that are complex, a=0 and b=1 so then general real solution is e0(c1cosx+c2sinx)

= c1cosx+c2sinx

how is that not a real solution ?

sorry...

7. Oct 6, 2011 #6
    oh i just realised in the part where you quoted my other reply i said c3 and c4 are complex conjugate roots i and -i.... ignore that. thats... i dont know what that is. haha

8. Oct 6, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's fine. You didn't say what 'a' was and you didn't put it equal to zero. I was confused by your presentation. And yes, saying c3 and c4 were conjugate roots didn't help either.

9. Oct 6, 2011 #8
    yeah... that was a lousy rushed ending on my behalf, sorry about that. and thanks:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook