Simple characterisitic equation clarification

• Thread starter ProPatto16
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using the characteristic equation to solve for y(4)-y=0. The characteristic equation is r^4-1=0 and has four roots, including 1, -1, and two complex roots. The general solution involves complex numbers but can be simplified to a real solution of c1cosx + c2sinx.
ProPatto16

Homework Statement

use characteristic equation to solve y(4)-y=0

Homework Equations

characteristic equation would be r4-1=0

The Attempt at a Solution

my question is related to the number of roots. with r^4 that generally means there will be 4 roots?
but there's only 3? 1,0,-1... my calculator doesn't solve polynomials higher then third order so I am just looking for clarification on this.

would there be 4 roots and just one of them is repeated? so then the solution would be something like y(x)=c1er1x+c2er2x+(c3+c4x)er3x ...

or are there just 3 roots and its y(x)=c1e^r1x + c2e^r2x + c3e^r3x ??

Physics news on Phys.org
ProPatto16 said:

Homework Statement

use characteristic equation to solve y(4)-y=0

Homework Equations

characteristic equation would be r4-1=0

The Attempt at a Solution

my question is related to the number of roots. with r^4 that generally means there will be 4 roots?
but there's only 3? 1,0,-1... my calculator doesn't solve polynomials higher then third order so I am just looking for clarification on this.

would there be 4 roots and just one of them is repeated? so then the solution would be something like y(x)=c1er1x+c2er2x+(c3+c4x)er3x ...

or are there just 3 roots and its y(x)=c1e^r1x + c2e^r2x + c3e^r3x ??

(r^4-1)=(r^2-1)*(r^2+1)=0. -1 and 1 are roots of (r^2-1). 0 isn't a root at all. What are the roots of (r^2+1)?

complex. of course. tunnel vision on my behalf.

y(x)= c1e^r1x + c2e^r2x + e^ax(c1cosbx+c2sinbx)

where r1 and r2 are real roots 1 and -1 and c3 and c4 are complex conjugate roots i and -i ??

ProPatto16 said:
complex. of course. tunnel vision on my behalf.

y(x)= c1e^r1x + c2e^r2x + e^ax(c1cosbx+c2sinbx)

where r1 and r2 are real roots 1 and -1 and c3 and c4 are complex conjugate roots i and -i ??

Start here. A general solution is c1*e^(x)+c2*e^(-x)+c3*e^(ix)+c4*e^(-ix). Since those are the four roots. Where c1, c2, c3 and c4 might all be complex. Now think about how to get a real solution out of that.

i don't get it?

if the characteristic equation has unrepeated pair of complex comjugate roots a+-bi then corresponding part of general solution is eax(c1cosbx+c2sinbx)

so for the two roots that are complex, a=0 and b=1 so then general real solution is e0(c1cosx+c2sinx)

= c1cosx+c2sinx

how is that not a real solution ?

sorry...

oh i just realized in the part where you quoted my other reply i said c3 and c4 are complex conjugate roots i and -i... ignore that. thats... i don't know what that is. haha

ProPatto16 said:
i don't get it?

if the characteristic equation has unrepeated pair of complex comjugate roots a+-bi then corresponding part of general solution is eax(c1cosbx+c2sinbx)

so for the two roots that are complex, a=0 and b=1 so then general real solution is e0(c1cosx+c2sinx)

= c1cosx+c2sinx

how is that not a real solution ?

sorry...

That's fine. You didn't say what 'a' was and you didn't put it equal to zero. I was confused by your presentation. And yes, saying c3 and c4 were conjugate roots didn't help either.

yeah... that was a lousy rushed ending on my behalf, sorry about that. and thanks:)

What is a simple characteristic equation?

A simple characteristic equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a system or process. It is usually a linear equation that relates an output variable to one or more input variables.

Why is it important to clarify a characteristic equation?

Clarifying a characteristic equation is important because it helps us understand the underlying behavior of a system or process. By simplifying the equation, we can identify key variables and relationships that can help us make predictions and solve problems.

How do you determine the characteristic equation for a system?

The characteristic equation of a system can be determined by analyzing its input-output relationship and identifying the key variables and their corresponding coefficients. This can be done through experimental data or mathematical modeling.

Can a characteristic equation be used to predict future behavior of a system?

Yes, a characteristic equation can be used to predict future behavior of a system as long as the underlying assumptions and conditions remain the same. However, any changes to the system or its inputs may affect the accuracy of the predictions.

What are some common methods for solving characteristic equations?

Some common methods for solving characteristic equations include using algebraic manipulation, numerical methods such as iteration or substitution, and graphical approaches such as using slope-intercept form or plotting data points.