Homogenous Ordinary Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and known solutions, as well as a method for finding the Wronskian. The person providing the summary has made an attempt to solve the equation but is unsure how to proceed. They later realize their mistake and state that they see the answer has already been found.
sndoyle1

Homework Statement

x2y"-(x2+2x)y'+(x+2)y=0

known solutions:

y1(2)=2
y1'(2)=1
y2(2)=2e2
y2'(2)=3e2

Determine the wronskian

Homework Equations

yc=C1er1x+C2er2x

I also know how to find the wronskian via a determinant

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to divide out the first x2 term to make this a linear system, not sure how to simplify after this to find the characteristic solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the answer using Abel's theorem.

nvm: I see you found your answer.

Isn't the complementary general solution equations you provided for differential equations with constant coefficients, rather than coefficients that are functions of a variable?

Last edited:
you are correct. I was confused with the question and obviously drew a blank.

1. What is a homogenous ordinary differential equation?

A homogenous ordinary differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves derivatives and only one independent variable. It is considered homogenous because all terms in the equation have the same degree of the dependent variable and its derivatives.

2. How is a homogenous ordinary differential equation different from a non-homogenous one?

A non-homogenous ordinary differential equation contains additional terms that are not of the same degree as the dependent variable and its derivatives. This makes it a more complex type of equation compared to a homogenous one.

3. What is the general solution of a homogenous ordinary differential equation?

The general solution of a homogenous ordinary differential equation is a solution that contains all possible solutions to the equation. It is usually expressed in terms of one or more arbitrary constants.

4. Can a homogenous ordinary differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a homogenous ordinary differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution allows for the inclusion of arbitrary constants, which can result in different solutions depending on their values.

5. What are some real-world applications of homogenous ordinary differential equations?

Homogenous ordinary differential equations are commonly used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. They can be used to model various natural phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electric circuits.