Simple Complex Number Review Question

In summary: You should see that they cancel out and leave just 2. This is the real part of the final answer for lzl^2.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

z=1 + e^(iθ) calculate z^2 and lzl^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for z^2

(1+e^(iθ))(1+e^(iθ)) = 1 + 2e^(iθ) + e^(i2θ).. is that the final answer? i expanded it into cosines and sines as well but that doesn't simplify anymore i don't believe.

for lzl^2 = (1+e^(iθ))*(1+e^(-iθ))= 1 + e^(iθ) + e^(iθ) + e^0 = 2 + 2e^(iθ) = 2(1+e^(iθ)) = 2z

but did I do something wrong because the book says the final answer should not have an imaginary number in it? but z has e^(iθ) in it? thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
bmb2009 said:

Homework Statement

z=1 + e^(iθ) calculate z^2 and lzl^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for z^2

(1+e^(iθ))(1+e^(iθ)) = 1 + 2e^(iθ) + e^(i2θ).. is that the final answer? i expanded it into cosines and sines as well but that doesn't simplify anymore i don't believe.

for lzl^2 = (1+e^(iθ))*(1+e^(-iθ))= 1 + e^(iθ) + e^(iθ) + e^0 = 2 + 2e^(iθ) = 2(1+e^(iθ)) = 2z

but did I do something wrong because the book says the final answer should not have an imaginary number in it? but z has e^(iθ) in it? thanks for the help

It doesn't have just an e^(iθ) in it. It should also have an e^(-iθ). Check your expansion. Put them together and the result is not imaginary.

Do you mind showing me the e^(-i@) + e^(-i@) cancellation?

Do u mind showing me the cancellation written on?

bmb2009 said:
Do you mind showing me the e^(-i@) + e^(-i@) cancellation?

Express the sum e^(iθ)+e^(-iθ) (which is what you should have had in your expansion) in terms of sines and cosines.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that has both a real part and an imaginary part, expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i being the imaginary unit).

2. What is the difference between a real number and an imaginary number?

A real number is any number that can be found on the number line, including positive and negative numbers, fractions, and decimals. An imaginary number is any number that includes the imaginary unit i, which is equal to the square root of -1.

3. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 4i) + (2 + 5i) = (3 + 2) + (4i + 5i) = 5 + 9i.

4. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is a number with the same real part but the opposite sign for the imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of 2 + 3i is 2 - 3i.

5. How do you multiply or divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you follow the same rules as multiplying binomials, using the FOIL method. To divide complex numbers, you multiply both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator, and then simplify the fraction.