1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple cosine expression NOT so simple!

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1

I am rediscovering my long lost "A" level maths and have been having lots of fun working on puzzles. Unfortunately, I seem to have hit something of a wall in the following simple expression that is repelling every attack I launch:

I have tried substituting x=arccos(w) and w=arccos(w/k), expressing things as logs, mungeing the equations I get, and a number of slightly more desperate attacks, but whatever I do to get rid of one term or provide something that can be cancelled out, a new problem pops up.

I feel that there is a simple answer to this, but the more I look at it the less I can see the way forward.

Any suggestions anyone?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What exactly do you want to do with f(x)?
  4. Mar 29, 2007 #3
    Ah! So absorbed by it, I've missed the most important bit!

I'm trying to integrate it to get the area under the curve between x=0 and x=pi
  5. Mar 29, 2007 #4
    Sorry, i couldn't get ur expression. is it (1+kcos(x))^(1/2)
  6. Mar 29, 2007 #5
    Yes it is - the root of (1+kcos(x))
  7. Mar 29, 2007 #6
    I don't think it has a solution made up entirely of elementary functions. Elliptic functions may be involved.
  8. Mar 29, 2007 #7
    I too struggled for it for 6-8 months. Its a kind of elliptic integral(which i didn't knew). u might be knowing. u can check it on an integrator at www.wolfram.com
  9. Mar 29, 2007 #8
    Gosh - what a great tip. I didn't know the integrator existed. Thank you.

Having got the answer from Wolfram I'm kind of pleased that I hadn't missed an obvious solution.

Thank you all.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?