Simplifying cosine and sine expressions

In summary: I guess i just needed someone to tell me that it wasn't the end of the world and that there might still be a solution.In summary, the student is struggling with basic math and trying to simplify an expression. He attached a picture of the expression and is unsure if he is doing it correctly. He is looking for help and wondering if anyone can help him.
Evo8

Homework Statement

So I am a little rusty on my basic math and I am trying to simplify this expression. In case you were curious the expression came from a signal block diagram that I calculated the transfer function H(z) to then found the frequency response H(f) and I think i have done that correctly I just need to reduce this further. I have attached a picture of what I have left. The theta stands for exp(j2pifT) if that maters to you.

Homework Equations

eq.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is where I get confused and can't remember the proper rules. These are super basic I know. Unfortunately I never learned them that well to begin with which is why I am having trouble now..

the terms that are j*sin(-2*theta) can I bring the -2 out of the sin function? Same with the cosine? I want to say no but part of me feels like you can... If so I am thinking this might help me cross out a few terms?

Or if i break it up into sections i get something like this for the first few terms. -2/4 * cos(-theta)/cos(-theta). I then feel like i can cross out the cosine terms and be left with -1/2? Same with the -2jsin(theta)/4jsin(theta) etc.

Am I going about this correctly? Some of it just doesn't seem right to me.

I really appreciate any help here guys/girls.

Thanks

p.s. Sorry if my handwriting is messy. I tried my best to write it down as neat as possible. I figured it would be easier to see if i took a picture rather then type it out here and have you try to understand what I am looking at.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo8 said:

Homework Statement

So I am a little rusty on my basic math and I am trying to simplify this expression. In case you were curious the expression came from a signal block diagram that I calculated the transfer function H(z) to then found the frequency response H(f) and I think i have done that correctly I just need to reduce this further. I have attached a picture of what I have left. The theta stands for exp(j2pifT) if that maters to you.

Homework Equations

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c4bc008f8c&view=att&th=1341cd0519bbc3f6&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is where I get confused and can't remember the proper rules. These are super basic I know. Unfortunately I never learned them that well to begin with which is why I am having trouble now..

the terms that are j*sin(-2*theta) can I bring the -2 out of the sin function? Same with the cosine? I want to say no but part of me feels like you can... If so I am thinking this might help me cross out a few terms?

Or if i break it up into sections i get something like this for the first few terms. -2/4 * cos(-theta)/cos(-theta). I then feel like i can cross out the cosine terms and be left with -1/2? Same with the -2jsin(theta)/4jsin(theta) etc.

Am I going about this correctly? Some of it just doesn't seem right to me.

I really appreciate any help here guys/girls.

Thanks

p.s. Sorry if my handwriting is messy. I tried my best to write it down as neat as possible. I figured it would be easier to see if i took a picture rather then type it out here and have you try to understand what I am looking at.
I don't see an attachment. There are formulas that tell you how to evaluate sin(2x) and cos(2x). If you remember the formulas for sin(x+y) and cos(x+y), you can use them with y=x. Also, keep in mind that sin is an odd function, and cos is an even function.

Sorry about that i had a link to the picture but it must be just me that can see it because it was local or something like that. I've uploaded it to a flikr type account and changed the link. You should be able to see it now.

I saw some of these forumulas but I am not 100% I am still looking at them as we speak.

I can see it now. You can certainly use the formulas I mentioned, but my first thought is that it doesn't look like the result will be any simpler.

Hmm maybe that's it then. The reason I said I want 100% was because I did try those formulas and it did not make the eq more simple so I suspected that I was doing something wrong. If it looks in simplest form to you then maybe that's the case.

Thanks for taking a look at this for me.

You should at least use the fact that sin is odd and cos even to get rid of the minus signs in front of the θ and 2θ.

I had another look at this, and I think the formulas I mentioned can simplify this a little. The expression cos θ-j sin θ shows up in a couple of places. Is j2=-1? In that case, cos θ-j sin θ=e-jθ.

The final result I got has 4(cos θ+1) as the denominator (after cancelling a factor of) e-jθ), and the numerator is at least a little bit simpler than what you started with.

Hi Evo8! :smile:

It seems a bit weird to me that you have a cosine with exp(j2pifT) as argument.
And that for a transfer function H(z)?

If you expand part of what you have, you get:
[tex]\cos(-\theta)+j\sin(-\theta)=e^{-j\theta}=e^{-j e^{j2\pi f T}}[/tex]

I don't know... it just doesn't look like part of a transfer function...

I pretty sure that Evo8 meant to say that [itex]θ=2πfT[/itex], given the pattern of cos+j.sin combinations.

[itex]\frac{-2cos(-θ)-2j.sin(-θ)+cos(-2θ)+j.sin(-2θ)}{2+4cos(-θ)+4j.sin(-θ)+2cos(-2θ)+2j.sin(-2θ)}[/itex]

[itex]\ldots = \frac{-2e^{-jθ}+e^{-j2θ}}{2+4e^{-jθ}+2e^{-j2θ}}[/itex]

[itex]\ldots = \frac{e^{-jθ}(e^{-jθ}-2)}{2(e^{-jθ}+1)^{2}}[/itex]

Hmm, things behave badly when [itex]θ=π[/itex], or using my assumed identity above when [itex]2fT=1[/itex]

Well for starters my transfer function was derived wrong...:( I derived it from a block diagram and now realize the mistake. So this is irrelivent but at least i get some more experience with this.

Yes in this case i had theta=(2pifT). Its a method my book used so i tried mimicking it.

I appreciate all the help guys. You have been super helpful.

1. How do you simplify cosine and sine expressions?

To simplify cosine and sine expressions, you must use trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity or double angle formula, to rewrite the expression in terms of one trigonometric function. Then, you can use algebraic techniques to further simplify the expression.

2. What are some common mistakes when simplifying cosine and sine expressions?

One common mistake is not applying the correct trigonometric identity, which can lead to incorrect simplification. Another mistake is not properly manipulating the expression using algebraic techniques, such as factoring or combining like terms.

3. Can you simplify cosine and sine expressions with variables?

Yes, you can simplify cosine and sine expressions with variables by applying the same trigonometric identities and algebraic techniques as you would with numerical expressions. However, the final simplified expression may contain variables.

4. Is it necessary to simplify cosine and sine expressions?

Simplifying cosine and sine expressions can make them easier to work with and understand, but it is not always necessary. In certain situations, such as solving trigonometric equations, simplifying may be necessary to find the solution.

5. Are there any shortcuts for simplifying cosine and sine expressions?

There are some shortcuts that can be used in specific cases, such as the sum and difference identities for cosine and sine. However, in general, the best approach is to use trigonometric identities and algebraic techniques to simplify the expression step by step.