1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying cosine and sine expressions

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So im a little rusty on my basic math and I am trying to simplify this expression. In case you were curious the expression came from a signal block diagram that I calculated the transfer function H(z) to then found the frequency response H(f) and I think i have done that correctly I just need to reduce this further. I have attached a picture of what I have left. The theta stands for exp(j2pifT) if that maters to you.

2. Relevant equations
    eq.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

So this is where I get confused and cant remember the proper rules. These are super basic I know. Unfortunately I never learned them that well to begin with which is why im having trouble now..

the terms that are j*sin(-2*theta) can I bring the -2 out of the sin function? Same with the cosine? I want to say no but part of me feels like you can..... If so im thinking this might help me cross out a few terms?

Or if i break it up into sections i get something like this for the first few terms. -2/4 * cos(-theta)/cos(-theta). I then feel like i can cross out the cosine terms and be left with -1/2? Same with the -2jsin(theta)/4jsin(theta) etc.

Am I going about this correctly? Some of it just doesn't seem right to me.

I really appreciate any help here guys/girls.

Thanks

p.s. Sorry if my handwriting is messy. I tried my best to write it down as neat as possible. I figured it would be easier to see if i took a picture rather then type it out here and have you try to understand what im looking at.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see an attachment. There are formulas that tell you how to evaluate sin(2x) and cos(2x). If you remember the formulas for sin(x+y) and cos(x+y), you can use them with y=x. Also, keep in mind that sin is an odd function, and cos is an even function.

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3
    Sorry about that i had a link to the picture but it must be just me that can see it because it was local or something like that. Ive uploaded it to a flikr type account and changed the link. You should be able to see it now.

I saw some of these forumulas but im not 100% Im still looking at them as we speak.

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can see it now. You can certainly use the formulas I mentioned, but my first thought is that it doesn't look like the result will be any simpler.

6. Dec 8, 2011 #5
    Hmm maybe that's it then. The reason I said I want 100% was because I did try those formulas and it did not make the eq more simple so I suspected that I was doing something wrong. If it looks in simplest form to you then maybe that's the case.

Thanks for taking a look at this for me.

7. Dec 8, 2011 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should at least use the fact that sin is odd and cos even to get rid of the minus signs in front of the θ and 2θ.

I had another look at this, and I think the formulas I mentioned can simplify this a little. The expression cos θ-j sin θ shows up in a couple of places. Is j2=-1? In that case, cos θ-j sin θ=e-jθ.

The final result I got has 4(cos θ+1) as the denominator (after cancelling a factor of) e-jθ), and the numerator is at least a little bit simpler than what you started with.

8. Dec 8, 2011 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Evo8! :smile:

It seems a bit weird to me that you have a cosine with exp(j2pifT) as argument.
    And that for a transfer function H(z)?

If you expand part of what you have, you get:
    [tex]\cos(-\theta)+j\sin(-\theta)=e^{-j\theta}=e^{-j e^{j2\pi f T}}[/tex]

I don't know... it just doesn't look like part of a transfer function...

9. Dec 8, 2011 #8
    I pretty sure that Evo8 meant to say that [itex]θ=2πfT[/itex], given the pattern of cos+j.sin combinations.

[itex]\frac{-2cos(-θ)-2j.sin(-θ)+cos(-2θ)+j.sin(-2θ)}{2+4cos(-θ)+4j.sin(-θ)+2cos(-2θ)+2j.sin(-2θ)}[/itex]

[itex]\ldots = \frac{-2e^{-jθ}+e^{-j2θ}}{2+4e^{-jθ}+2e^{-j2θ}}[/itex]

[itex]\ldots = \frac{e^{-jθ}(e^{-jθ}-2)}{2(e^{-jθ}+1)^{2}}[/itex]

Hmm, things behave badly when [itex]θ=π[/itex], or using my assumed identity above when [itex]2fT=1[/itex]

10. Dec 9, 2011 #9
    Well for starters my transfer function was derived wrong...:( I derived it from a block diagram and now realize the mistake. So this is irrelivent but at least i get some more experience with this.

Yes in this case i had theta=(2pifT). Its a method my book used so i tried mimicking it.

I appreciate all the help guys. You have been super helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook