Simple Derivation (1D) Lorentz Transformation

In summary, the Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation developed by Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century that describes how measurements of space and time change between two reference frames moving at a constant velocity. It is important because it helps us understand the relativity of space and time, and is used in various practical applications such as GPS systems and particle accelerators. It works by converting measurements between frames using mathematical equations based on the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of motion. It differs from the simpler Galilean Transformation, which assumes absolute space and time and is only valid at low velocities. The Lorentz Transformation, on the other hand, is valid at all speeds and is crucial in understanding
phatgandy
Appendix 1 - simple Lorentz transformation derivation found at - http://www.bartleby.com/173/a1.html

Given in equation (3)

(x'-ct') = Y(x-ct) [Y = const.]

by rearrangement, it yields,

(x'-ct')/(x-ct) = Y.

But it is stated that both (x-ct) and (x'-ct') are zero, so we have "zero over zero" - a mathematical no-no.
There is surely no way something so trivial could of been over-looked when proof-reading, so I ask where it is I am going wrong in this derivation? Also, is it such the case when considering the 3D model?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nowhere in the text do I see the expression (x'-ct')/(x-ct), so what is the problem exactly? Einstein never divides by zero in the course of his derivation.

I don't see any such division in the referenced link.

The overall argument is what I would call a 'motivation' not a strict derivation. The gist is: start with something we know is true for light (x-ct = 0; x' - ct' = 0) and note that if something more general were true for all coordinates, this fact about light would follow. There is no proof given that this is the only possible assumption. Over the years, there has been an 'industry' of papers examining what are the truly minimal but sufficient assumptions to derive the Lorentz transform.

Any way, he notes that if x'-ct' = γ (x-ct) always, then the required equations for light would follow.

Last edited:
phatgandy said:
Appendix 1 - simple Lorentz transformation derivation found at - http://www.bartleby.com/173/a1.html

Given in equation (3)

(x'-ct') = Y(x-ct) [Y = const.]

by rearrangement, it yields,

(x'-ct')/(x-ct) = Y.

But it is stated that both (x-ct) and (x'-ct') are zero, so we have "zero over zero" - a mathematical no-no.
There is surely no way something so trivial could of been over-looked when proof-reading, so I ask where it is I am going wrong in this derivation? Also, is it such the case when considering the 3D model?

Many thanks.

[itex]x[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex] are not ALWAYS going to satisfy [itex]x - ct = 0[/itex]. [itex]x[/itex] is the location of some event, and [itex]t[/itex] is the time of that event. [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex] can be anything. Similarly, [itex]x'[/itex] and [itex]t'[/itex] can be absolutely anything. But in the special case in which [itex]x - ct = 0[/itex], we know that [itex]x' - ct' = 0[/itex], as well.

So we look for a relationship between the coordinates [itex](x,t)[/itex] and the coordinates [itex](x',t')[/itex] that ALWAYS holds, but has the implication that IF [itex]x-ct = 0[/itex], THEN [itex]x' - ct' = 0[/itex].

So we're looking for a relationship between the coordinates (a linear relationship, specifically) that has this implication. The following relationship works:

[itex]x - ct = Y (x' - ct')[/itex]

It's supposed to hold for all values of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex], not just in the special case [itex]x - ct = 0[/itex].

The_Duck & PAllen, I obtained the division by simple rearrangement of x−ct=Y(x′−ct′), which is totally reasonable.

Either way, my point was the statement reads 0 = Y*0 or by rearrangement 0/0 = Y

Stevendaryl, thank you for your great reply. It has helped in many ways, as additionally have the comments by PAllen.

I still cannot entirely get my head around the validity of the equation in this form, when regarding the special case of x-ct=0, due to the fact that it represents 0 = Y*0, and this indeed is our basis (or so I have seen thus far).

Could you offer any more wise words?

phatgandy said:
The_Duck & PAllen, I obtained the division by simple rearrangement of x−ct=Y(x′−ct′), which is totally reasonable.

Either way, my point was the statement reads 0 = Y*0 or by rearrangement 0/0 = Y

I still cannot entirely get my head around the validity of the equation in this form, when regarding the special case of x-ct=0, due to the fact that it represents 0 = Y*0, and this indeed is our basis (or so I have seen thus far).

Could you offer any more wise words?

You are not allowed to do the rearrangement you are trying to do. Consider the equation

0 = 5*0.

It is a true equation, and there is nothing wrong with it. Indeed, if you multiply five by zero you get zero. Few arithmetic problems are simpler. Now, you might feel tempted to divide both sides by zero and get

0/0 = 5.

If you ever feel this temptation, you must resist it. You are not allowed to divide by zero, and the resulting equation does not make sense. The fact that this second equation is nonsense does not in any way diminish the validity of the original equation 0 = 0*5.

To reiterate, suppose in the course of some algebraic manipulations you obtain the equation

0 = Y*0.

This is a true equation for any value of Y, and there is nothing wrong with it. Again you must resist the temptation to divide by zero and rewrite the equation as Y = 0/0. The equation 0 = Y*0 is trivially true. The equation Y = 0/0 is meaningless.

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how the measurements of space and time change between two reference frames that are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. It was developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century and is an essential part of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. Why is the Lorentz Transformation important?

The Lorentz Transformation is important because it allows us to understand how space and time are relative and how they can be affected by motion. It also helps to explain phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, which are crucial concepts in modern physics.

3. How does the Lorentz Transformation work?

The Lorentz Transformation is based on two principles: the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of motion. It uses a set of mathematical equations to convert measurements of space and time between two reference frames that are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other.

4. What is the difference between the Lorentz Transformation and Galilean Transformation?

The Galilean Transformation is a simpler version of the Lorentz Transformation and is based on the assumption that space and time are absolute. It works well for everyday speeds but fails at high velocities, while the Lorentz Transformation is valid at all speeds and takes into account the relativity of motion.

5. How is the Lorentz Transformation used in practical applications?

The Lorentz Transformation is used in a variety of practical applications, including GPS systems, particle accelerators, and in the design of spacecraft. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at high energies and in developing theories of the universe such as the Big Bang model.