Simple dimensional analysis question?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a simple dimensional analysis question that asked for a combination of force and another physical quantity that would have the dimensions of power. The answer provided was speed. The conversation then continued to discuss the units of power and how it is derived from the basic units of mass, length, and time. The units of power mentioned were horse, erg, watt, kilowatt, and newton-meter/second.
makeitdone
؟؟؟simple dimensional analysis question?

what combination of force and one other physical quantity has the dimensions of power??

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi makeitdone,

That's easy: speed.

Cheers,
Kurt

Kurt Peek said:
Hi makeitdone,

That's easy: speed.

Cheers,
Kurt

How pls??

What are the units of power?

yes that's it power = force.speed

but I was wondering how to write it in a scientific way it's my 1st lecture in this field...

yes that's it power = force.speed

but I was wondering how to right it in a scientific way it's my 1st lecture in this field...

Power has a specific meaning and it is derived from the basic units M L and T. Do you know what the units of power are?

SteamKing said:
Power has a specific meaning and it is derived from the basic units M L and T. Do you know what the units of power are?

I know horse ,erg ,watt ,k.watt and n*m/s

What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used in science to convert between different units of measurement or to check the consistency of an equation. It involves identifying the base units of measurement (such as meters, kilograms, or seconds) and using conversion factors to manipulate the units and solve problems.

Why is dimensional analysis important in science?

Dimensional analysis is important in science because it allows scientists to accurately and efficiently convert between units of measurement, which is essential for communicating and understanding scientific data. It also helps to check the validity of equations and identify any errors or inconsistencies.

What are the steps involved in dimensional analysis?

The steps involved in dimensional analysis are as follows:
1. Identify the given value with its units.
2. Determine the desired units for the answer.
3. Create a conversion factor by comparing the given units to the desired units.
4. Set up a conversion equation using the conversion factor.
5. Cancel out units and solve for the desired value.

Can dimensional analysis be used for any type of unit conversion?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used for any type of unit conversion as long as the units being converted are compatible. This means that the base units, such as length, mass, or time, must be the same for both units being converted.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using dimensional analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using dimensional analysis include using incorrect conversion factors, not canceling out units correctly, and forgetting to include units in the final answer. It is also important to double-check the accuracy of the given value and the desired units to ensure the correct conversion is being performed.