Simple electric flux through tetrahedron problem

In summary, the tetrahedron has an equilateral triangle base with 20-cm-long edges and three equilateral triangle sides. The base is parallel to the ground and a vertical uniform electric field of strength 200 N/C passes upward through the object. The electric flux through the base is -3.464 Nm^2/C and the electric flux through each of the three sides is 1.2 Nm^2/C. The convention for the sign of flux is positive and for a closed surface, outward is considered positive.
kirby2
A tetrahedron has an equilateral triangle base with 20-cm-long edges and
three equilateral triangle sides. The base is parallel to the ground and a
vertical uniform electric field of strength 200 N/C passes upward through
the object.
(a) What is the electric flux through the base?
(b) What is the electric flux through each of the three sides?

ATTEMPT:

for part a i used flux=EA. for A i used BH/2 and got .0173. i multiplied that by 200 and got 3.46 m^2/C. can someone verify this is correct?

for part b i just divided that number by 3 because the total flux in the sides must equal that of the base so i got -1.1533m^2/C. i think the sign is negative because it must have the opposite sign of the base. is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
kirby2 said:
A tetrahedron has an equilateral triangle base with 20-cm-long edges and
three equilateral triangle sides. The base is parallel to the ground and a
vertical uniform electric field of strength 200 N/C passes upward through
the object.
(a) What is the electric flux through the base?
(b) What is the electric flux through each of the three sides?

ATTEMPT:

for part a i used flux=EA. for A i used BH/2 and got .0173. i multiplied that by 200 and got 3.46 m^2/C. can someone verify this is correct?

for part b i just divided that number by 3 because the total flux in the sides must equal that of the base so i got -1.1533m^2/C. i think the sign is negative because it must have the opposite sign of the base. is this right?
I agree with the magnitudes.

What is the convention for the sign of flux?

the convention is positive sign?

kirby2 said:
the convention is positive sign?
For a closed surface, what direction is positive? Inward or Outward ?

for a closed surface outward is positive

kirby2 said:
for a closed surface outward is positive

Good !

Then the flux through the base is negative, correct?

yes. and the sides are positive. thank you

a) -3.464 Nm^2/C

b) 1.2 Nm^2/C

1. What is a simple electric flux through a tetrahedron problem?

A simple electric flux through a tetrahedron problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the amount of electric flux passing through a tetrahedron shape. It is used to understand and analyze the flow of electric fields through different shapes and configurations.

2. How do I solve a simple electric flux through a tetrahedron problem?

To solve a simple electric flux through a tetrahedron problem, you will need to use the formula for electric flux, which is given by Φ = E * A * cos(θ), where E is the electric field strength, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface. You will also need to determine the direction of the electric field and the area of the surface in order to plug in the correct values into the formula.

3. What are the units of measurement for electric flux?

The units of measurement for electric flux are volts per meter (V/m) in the SI system and newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the CGS system. This represents the amount of electric field passing through a given area.

4. What is the significance of solving a simple electric flux through a tetrahedron problem?

Solving a simple electric flux through a tetrahedron problem can help us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with different shapes and configurations. It is also useful in practical applications, such as designing electronic circuits and devices.

5. Are there any real-world examples of simple electric flux through a tetrahedron problems?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of simple electric flux through a tetrahedron problems. For instance, calculating the electric flux through a pyramid-shaped solar panel can help determine its efficiency in converting sunlight into electricity. Electric flux through a tetrahedron can also be used in analyzing the electric field around a lightning rod or in designing electromagnetic shielding for electronic devices.