Simple equation to calculate my initial velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a simple equation to calculate initial velocity when jumping, and the maximum jump height based on weight. The equation given is v=sqrt(20h), where h is the height jumped. It is also mentioned that applying basic laws of motion may not accurately model bodily physics. The conversation also mentions determining maximum velocity and the suggestion of intense cycling for weight loss.
cdiener
I am looking for a simple equation to calculate my initial velocity when I jump in layman's terms. For instance...if I weigh 91kg and jump 1 meter...what is my initial velocity and what would my maximum jump height be if I weighed 81kg? This is probably something I missed in freshman physics...but I was a business major and not too bright!

Physics news on Phys.org
the kinetic .5mv*v goes into Potential mgh
v*v=2gh
v=sqrt(20h)
so in ur example where h=1 then v is about 4.5m/s

if you lost 10kgs and had the same jump force you would go 91/81 higher, approx 1.1m

Your initial velocity is zero and your jump height is undetermined at this point. Bodily physics is best understood by experiment, applying basic laws of motion will not ever give you a useful model.

Do you mean maximum velocity? That can be determined easily. If you jump up a meter you jump down a meter and applying a basic law (s = ut + at^2/2) we have 1m = gt^2/2 => t = sqrt(2/g) seconds (double it for your total time in the air when jumping a meter).

The above poster is completely correct.

Although at 91kg, you are either an incredibly ripped individual or an alternative bodily form. In the latter case I recommend intense cycling.

Last edited:

1. What is the simple equation for calculating initial velocity?

The simple equation for calculating initial velocity is: v0 = v - at, where v0 is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken.

2. How do I know what values to plug into the equation for initial velocity?

To calculate initial velocity, you need to know the final velocity, acceleration, and time taken. These values can be measured or given to you in a problem. Make sure to use consistent units for all variables.

3. Can I use this equation for any type of motion?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration is constant. This means that the velocity is changing at a constant rate over time.

4. What if I don't know the time taken? Can I still calculate initial velocity?

No, in order to calculate initial velocity using this equation, you need to know the time taken. If you are missing this value, you may need to use a different equation or gather more information to solve for it.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate initial velocity?

There are other equations and methods that can be used to calculate initial velocity, depending on the given information and the type of motion. However, this equation is considered one of the simplest and most commonly used for calculating initial velocity.