How to calculate change of velocity after hitting water?

In summary: I don't think it's really relevant. I usually stop before hitting the bottom of the pool. I don't think it's really relevant.
Number1koer
Me and a Partner are presenting the physics of diving as our final in physics. He wants a ton of detail about the activity we choose so I thought it would be a good idea to show the difference from a cannonball vs a normal dive and the change in velocity that occurs with both, and also how much of your energy is transferred into the water. My partner is going to be filmed jumping off of a diving board, and I will then take the video and put it into logger pro. I am wondering if there is a fairly simple way to get the info I need. I am also wondering what info I will need, like if I will need her mass to calculate the change in velocity. If there isn't really a way to get exact numbers out of this, it would also be helpful for a simple explanation of what effects impact on water. (Mass, How velocity impacts it, etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Number1koer said:
it would also be helpful for a simple explanation of what effects impact on water. (Mass, How velocity impacts it, etc.)
What do YOU think effects the impact and the resultant speed in the water? You HAVE to show at least some effort if you want help on this forum.

Have you done video analysis of the motion of anything else? The basic idea is that you need to know how far she moves between video frames, and the time that elapses between video frames. The ratio is the average velocity. I just did a google search for video analysis of diver and got lots of hits with lots of details.

Number1koer said:
how much of your energy is transferred into the water
Why would the answer differ from "all of it"?

jbriggs444 said:
Why would the answer differ from "all of it"?
Wouldn’t you still have kinetic energy because you are still moving?

Number1koer said:
Wouldn’t you still have kinetic energy because you are still moving?
I usually stop before hitting the bottom of the pool.

1. How does the velocity of an object change after hitting water?

The velocity of an object changes after hitting water due to the resistance force of the water. When an object moves through water, it experiences drag, which is a force that opposes its motion. This drag force causes the object to slow down, resulting in a decrease in velocity.

2. What factors affect the change in velocity after hitting water?

The change in velocity after hitting water is affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the object, the speed at which it enters the water, and the density and viscosity of the water. These factors determine the amount of drag force that the object experiences, which ultimately affects its change in velocity.

3. Can the change in velocity after hitting water be calculated?

Yes, the change in velocity after hitting water can be calculated using the equation: Δv = Fd/m, where Δv is the change in velocity, Fd is the drag force, and m is the mass of the object. The drag force can be calculated using the equation: Fd = 1/2ρAv², where ρ is the density of the water, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

4. How does the angle of entry affect the change in velocity after hitting water?

The angle of entry can significantly affect the change in velocity after hitting water. If an object enters the water at a steep angle, it will experience a greater drag force and, therefore, a larger change in velocity compared to entering at a shallow angle. This is because a steeper angle exposes more surface area of the object to the water, resulting in more drag force.

5. Is there a way to minimize the change in velocity after hitting water?

There are several ways to minimize the change in velocity after hitting water. One way is to reduce the speed at which the object enters the water. Another way is to decrease the surface area of the object by changing its shape or using a streamlined design. Additionally, increasing the density of the object can also help reduce the change in velocity, as it will experience less drag force. However, it is important to note that in most cases, the change in velocity cannot be completely eliminated when an object hits water.