1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple exponential function exercise

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

is e^x^2 = 4 equivalent to e^x = 2

2. Relevant equations

As above

3. The attempt at a solution

This is just an exercise, but I'm quite stuck as how to show this is true (or false for that matter). I thought to take the log of both sides and use the log identity to get rid of the double exponent and cancel out the 'ln e' (=1):

ln e^x^2 = ln 4

x^2 ln e = ln 4

x^2 = ln 4

but I'm not sure this helps me (kinda went around in a circle!), nor am I clear on another method to use. I'm sure there's a log property I'm missing? :S

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

e^(x^2) and (e^x)^2 are two different things. e^x^2 doesn't mean much on its own. You probably mean (e^x)^2=4. Try taking ln of that.

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3
    Oh my mistake, I should have been clear, it's e^(x^2) = 4 equiv to e^x = 2.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I think you are asking does e(x2) = (ex)2

Let x=some appropriate number, say, 3, and use your calculator.

Re-examining, ex2 = (ex)2
    you are really asking does x2 = 2x

Well, it does if x=2 or 0 :frown:

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5
    I have to learn how to TEX >.<

The question is to show an equivalence between equation 1 and equation 2 where:

equation 1: e^(x^2) = 4 (so that's e to the x-squared equals 4)

equation 2: e^(x) = 2 (and this is e to the x equals 2)

So I think I have to manipulate equation 1 into the form of equation 2. To be honest, I haven't ever seen a question like this, we didn't do it in class, it's on an (unmarked) exercise quiz relating to basic algebra skills (which I blatantly lack, I keep gettng tripped up on stuff like this, just when I think I understand something!)

I should mention it's a TRUE or FALSE question, so they may not be equivalent, but I'd like to know! :P

7. Sep 7, 2011 #6

NascentOxygen

If the value of x that solves eqn 2 also solves eqn 1 (using your calculator), then there's a good bet that it is TRUE. Try that for starters.

Your restatement of the eqns amounts to what I wrote, in any case.

8. Sep 7, 2011 #7

NascentOxygen

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  9. Sep 7, 2011 #8
    OK so I did this:

e^x = 2
    ln e^x = ln 2 (log law ln e^x = x ln e)
    x ln e = ln 2 (ln e = 1, cancels out)
    x = ln 2

and sub that into the first equation and sure enough I get 4, so they are equivalent. Now I feel like a right duffer! Thanks for the pointers though, I'm just getting a feel for logs and I get a bit flustered when I don't quite grasp the question.

:)

10. Sep 7, 2011 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I disagree. (e^x)^2= e^(2x) which is an easier way to write it. I would immediately assume that e^(x^2) was meant.

And if (e^x)^2= 4 was meant, I would NOT take the logarithm. Since the "outer" function is squaring, I would take the square root first: e^x= +/- 2. Since an exponential (of a real number) cannot be negative, e^x= 2, x= ln(2) is the only (real) solution.

11. Sep 7, 2011 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, they are not. The solutions of exp(x^2)=4 are x = +-sqrt(2*ln(2)) = +- 1.1774, while the solution of exp(x)=2 is x = ln(2) = 0.6931. It IS true that x^2 = 2x for some special values of x, but not for those values that solve either of your two equations.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook