Simple force question that I cant get

• Thread starter mikejones2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, there was a question about the magnitude of frictional force on a 1 kg block with coefficients of friction μs=0.64 and μk=0.42, with only gravity as the other force. The question had three scenarios: block at rest on horizontal surface, block at rest on inclined surface, and block moving downward on inclined surface. The correct answers are: a) magnitude is 0, b) magnitude is 0.64 - 9.8sin(22), and c) magnitude is 0.42 - 9.8sin(49). However, the mistake was made by assuming there is no normal force acting on the block, when in fact, the question stated that the
mikejones2000
I know I got at least two out of the three incorrect and cannot seem to understand why.
The question states:
The coefficients of friction between a block of mass 1 kg and a surface are μs=0.64 and μk=0.42. Assume the only other force acting on the block is that due to gravity, what is the magnitude of the frictional force on the block

A)if the block is at rest and the surface is horizontal?
B)if the block is at rest and the surface is inclined at 22o?
C)if the block is at moving downward and the surface is inclined at 49o?

For a) I said the magnitude is 0 because there is no force acting on it other than gravity and for b) I put .64-9.8sin(22) and c).42-9.8sin49. I got two negative numbers for b) and c) and probably think those are the ones I screwed up on but cannot understand how if the only other force acting on it is gravity and not a normal force. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you took them too literally when they said "Assume the only other force acting on the block is that due to gravity". Of course there's a normal force, otherwise the frictional force will always be zero. They meant no other applied forces, like someone pushing or pulling the block.

The magnitude of the frictional force on the block can be calculated using the formula Ff = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. In this case, the normal force is equal to the weight of the block, which is mg, where m is the mass of the block and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

For part A, the block is at rest on a horizontal surface, so the normal force is equal to the weight of the block, which is 1 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 9.8 N. Therefore, the magnitude of the frictional force is Ff = μN = 0.64 * 9.8 = 6.272 N.

For part B, the block is at rest on an inclined surface, so the normal force is equal to the component of the weight of the block perpendicular to the surface, which is mgcosθ, where θ is the angle of inclination. In this case, θ = 22o, so the normal force is 1 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * cos22o = 9.327 N. Therefore, the magnitude of the frictional force is Ff = μN = 0.64 * 9.327 = 5.973 N.

For part C, the block is moving downward on an inclined surface, so the normal force is equal to the component of the weight of the block perpendicular to the surface, which is mgcosθ, where θ is the angle of inclination. In this case, θ = 49o, so the normal force is 1 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * cos49o = 6.154 N. Therefore, the magnitude of the frictional force is Ff = μN = 0.42 * 6.154 = 2.585 N.

It is important to note that the normal force changes depending on the orientation of the surface, and therefore the magnitude of the frictional force also changes. This is why the calculations for parts B and C are different from part A. Additionally, the frictional force always acts in the opposite direction of the motion, which is why the values for parts B and C are negative.

1. What is a simple force?

A simple force is a type of force that acts on an object in a straight line, with no change in direction. It is also known as a "linear force" or "unbalanced force." Examples of simple forces include pushing or pulling an object, gravity, and friction.

2. How is the magnitude of a simple force determined?

The magnitude of a simple force is determined by its strength or intensity. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) in the metric system or pounds (lbs) in the imperial system. The greater the magnitude of the force, the greater the effect it will have on an object.

3. What is the difference between a simple force and a complex force?

A simple force only has a single component and acts in a straight line, while a complex force has multiple components and can act in multiple directions. Simple forces are easier to calculate and understand compared to complex forces.

4. How do you calculate the net force of multiple simple forces acting on an object?

The net force is the sum of all the individual forces acting on an object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you simply add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger force to find the net force.

5. How are simple forces used in everyday life?

Simple forces are used in many everyday activities, such as pushing a door open, throwing a ball, or riding a bike. They are also essential in understanding the laws of motion and how objects move in the world around us.