Simple forces problem no incline

In summary, a 6kg block is being pushed across a flat table at a constant speed of 0.350m/s by a horizontal force F. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.12. Using the equation Ff = μN, where Ff is the force of friction, and N is the normal force (which is equal to the weight of the block, -58.8N), the force of friction is calculated to be 7.066N. Since the block is not accelerating, the total force must be equal to zero, so using the equation Ftotal = ma with a = 0, the magnitude of F can be calculated. Speed is not a factor in this calculation.
HelpMePlz2010

Homework Statement

this is simple but I am stuck

in a lab, a 6kg block is pushed across a flat table by a horizontal force F. if the box is moving at a constant speed of 0.350m/s and the coefficient of kinetic friction is .12 what is the magnitude of F

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first i drew a picture and figured the object weight would be (m*g) = -58.8 and since it is horizontal the normal force would be balanced with this value. from there i tried to find the force of friction using Force of friction equals normal force*coefficient of kinetic friction and got 7.066N

i need help on where to go from here since the block is not accelerating, and i have a constand speed of .35m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi HelpMePlz2010! Welcome to PF! :smile:
HelpMePlz2010 said:
in a lab, a 6kg block is pushed across a flat table by a horizontal force F. if the box is moving at a constant speed of 0.350m/s and the coefficient of kinetic friction is .12 what is the magnitude of F

first i drew a picture and figured the object weight would be (m*g) = -58.8 and since it is horizontal the normal force would be balanced with this value. from there i tried to find the force of friction using Force of friction equals normal force*coefficient of kinetic friction and got 7.066N

Yes, that's fine, and you're almost finished.

All you have to do is use Ftotal = ma with a = 0. :wink:

(oh, and the speed is completely irrelevant! :biggrin:)

thank you

1. What is a simple force problem without an incline?

A simple force problem without an incline is a physics problem that involves the analysis of forces acting on an object without any slope or angle present in the scenario.

2. How do you solve a simple force problem without an incline?

To solve a simple force problem without an incline, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object, draw a free-body diagram, and apply Newton's laws of motion to calculate the net force and acceleration of the object.

3. What are some common examples of simple force problems without an incline?

Some common examples of simple force problems without an incline include pushing or pulling an object on a level surface, analyzing the forces acting on a stationary or moving object, and calculating the acceleration of a falling object.

4. What is the purpose of solving simple force problems without an incline?

The purpose of solving simple force problems without an incline is to understand and apply fundamental principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of force, to real-world scenarios. It also helps in developing problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving simple force problems without an incline?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving simple force problems without an incline include not considering all the forces acting on the object, using incorrect equations or values, and not drawing an accurate free-body diagram. It is essential to carefully analyze the problem and double-check all calculations to avoid errors.