1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple (Frustrating) Combined Gas Law Problem

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If 562L of a gas is prepared at 700 torr and 213 degrees C, and it is then pumped into a 25.3L tank at 35 degrees C, what pressure will the tank have to withstand?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is pretty straight forward. That's why I'm getting so frustrated. I just plug and play and I should get the right answer.

[tex]\frac{35degC}{213degC}*\frac{562L}{25.3L}*700torr=~2600torr or 3.421 atm[/tex]

According to my professor, the answer is supposed to be 13atm or 9880torr.

I just don't understand how this approach is not working since I am only missing one variable. It seems perfect for the combined gas law. Thank you for your time.

P.S. Sorry about the botched latex attempt. I tried :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi DDNow,

The Celsius temperature scale is not a thermodynamic temperature scale, and so cannot be used here. Try converting your temperatures to the Kelvin scale.
  4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Hey! Thank you for that. Worked perfectly. I assumed since it was a temperature divided by a temperature that the ratio would be the same for C or K. Obviously, I was wrong. I really appreciate your time alphysicist!

Edit: I'm not sure if I need to mark this as resolved or whatnot. If someone wants to tell me if there is another step I would appreciate it.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  5. Nov 9, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Sure, glad to help! As far as C or K, temperature differences are the same for both scales, but as you found the ratios are different.

There used to be a way to mark the threads as solved, but I don't believe that function is available right now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?