Simple gamma matrices question

• Thread starter Ameno
  • Start date
Hi

I've just read the statement that a matrix that commutes with all four gamma matrices / Dirac matrices has to be a multiple of the identity. I don't see that; can anyone tell me why this is true?

Thanks in advance

Answers and Replies

Physics Monkey
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You can deduce this yourself using the completeness properties of gamma matrices. By considering (schematically) 1, [tex] \gamma [/tex], [tex] \gamma \gamma [/tex], etc. one can form a basis of matrices.

If you can decide:
1) that this basis is complete for 4x4 matrices
2) that nothing in this basis besides 1 commutes with all the [tex] \gamma [/tex]
then you will have what you want.

Thanks.

OK, I also had this answer in mind (which I already found), but I thought that there is a simpler answer because this statement appeared at a point in the script where that basis has not yet been introduced. Perhaps I'll find a simpler answer, but I'm also fine with this one. At least I see that it's not that simple.

Physics Monkey
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily claim this is the most elegant method. One could even explicitly compute the commutator of an arbitary 4x4 matrix with the four gamma matrices. This gives 4 4x4 linear matrix equations that will give the same conclusion. This is even less elegant but requires no mention of a basis.

Yes, but wouldn't this require a choice of representation? It would not require a choice of basis, but it wouldn't be canonical in the sense of independence of representation.