Simple Harmonic Easy Qualitve problem, something I'm not getting

In summary, the forces that could result in simple harmonic motion are F(x)=-9x and F(x)=9x. The equation F(x)=-9x+7 may also work, but it is not a traditional definition of simple harmonic motion. The equation F(x)=9x3 is incorrect, as the exponent should be on the variable x, not the coefficient. The equation F=kx, also known as Hooke's Law, is the definition of simple harmonic motion. However, the sign of the force should be negative, not positive as shown in the conversation.
Jediknight

Homework Statement

Which of these forces could result in simple harmonic motion

F(x)=−9(x−7)3

F(x)=−9x+7

F(x)=−9x3

F(x)=−9x

F(x)=9x
F(x)=9x3

9x3 is 9x^3, same with itsopposite

Homework Equations

F=kx, the definition of shm

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured -9x and 9x were the only ones, i tried that

i tried those two and 9x+7 might work, just a measurement from a different spot

then I tried taking off -9x (leaving 9x and 9x+7) out of despirationI'm thinking maybe its a trick question and the answer might be all of them (like how pendulum at very small distances can be looked at as smh, or is there some fundamental concept I'm not getting here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jediknight said:

Homework Statement

Which of these forces could result in simple harmonic motion

F(x)=−9(x−7)3

F(x)=−9x+7

F(x)=−9x3

F(x)=−9x

F(x)=9x
F(x)=9x3

9x3 is 9x^3, same with itsopposite

Homework Equations

F=kx, the definition of shm

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured -9x and 9x were the only ones, i tried that

i tried those two and 9x+7 might work, just a measurement from a different spot

then I tried taking off -9x (leaving 9x and 9x+7) out of despirationI'm thinking maybe its a trick question and the answer might be all of them (like how pendulum at very small distances can be looked at as smh, or is there some fundamental concept I'm not getting here?

Check the sign on your equation above that I've bolded in red. That's not the traditional definition used with Hooke's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

:smile:

Likes Jediknight
good call, if F equaled kx a spring would push a load further and faster til it hit the speed of light!

(incase it wasnt obvious to everyone reading, F=-kx, F=-kx+c is fine to

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point due to a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. What is the formula for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The formula for Simple Harmonic Motion is x(t) = A*sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium point, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. How do you calculate the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion can be calculated using the formula T = 2π/ω, where T is the period and ω is the angular frequency. Alternatively, the period can also be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the object and k is the spring constant.

4. What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Uniform Circular Motion?

The main difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Uniform Circular Motion is in the type of force that causes the motion. Simple Harmonic Motion is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium, while Uniform Circular Motion is caused by a centripetal force that is directed towards the center of the circular path.

5. How does Simple Harmonic Motion relate to real-life situations?

Simple Harmonic Motion is commonly observed in real-life situations, such as the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, or the motion of a mass attached to a spring. It can also be used to model other types of periodic motion, such as the motion of a mass-spring system or the oscillations of an electric circuit.